Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sooo many credit cards, so what

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Sooo many credit cards, so what

@Anonymous wrote:

While I wouldn't necessarily say I "take pride" in having so many cards, I will certainly admit that I like to throw around that I have 45 credit cards (44 V/M/D/A, 1 store card).  It's almost more self-deprecating; "can you believe I have so many cards?" along the lines of "can you believe I have so many Hawaiian shirts?".  And it's fun to see the horrified reaction (particularly among Dave Ramsey fans).  I also enjoy poking holes in the standard arguments against the practice: 1) Your credit score must be terrible (mine's in the 810-835 range), 2) it would be impossible for you to get a mortgage (just refi'd last month without a wrinkle), 3) it must be impossible to keep track of all those accounts (everything is set on autopay from a checking account I keep at a $10k balance, and mint.com allows me to monitor transactions on all of the cards at one glance), 4) you must pay a mint in interest and fees (every account is PIF on due date so I pay no interest, and I have only two cards I pay annual fees on; the Marriott which gives me a free hotel night worth more than the annual fee, and the USBank Travel which every year gives me more than enough bonus points to pay the "fee" with).

Chris.

Having that many makes me feel more comfortable that my 15 wont hurt my score so bad. If you have a house already, it's ok I guess. I know the only reason I have as many as I do is all these 200 dollar bonuses and such. Hard to say no to free money. I do have to ask though. Why did you get that many? Is it the rewards? Just please don't tell me you needed 6-2% rewards cards in case they nerf 5 of them all at the same time.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 101 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some people simply don't close cards after they get new ones. Sort of like 1800's Mormons.
Message 102 of 109
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While I wouldn't necessarily say I "take pride" in having so many cards, I will certainly admit that I like to throw around that I have 45 credit cards (44 V/M/D/A, 1 store card).  It's almost more self-deprecating; "can you believe I have so many cards?" along the lines of "can you believe I have so many Hawaiian shirts?".  And it's fun to see the horrified reaction (particularly among Dave Ramsey fans).  I also enjoy poking holes in the standard arguments against the practice: 1) Your credit score must be terrible (mine's in the 810-835 range), 2) it would be impossible for you to get a mortgage (just refi'd last month without a wrinkle), 3) it must be impossible to keep track of all those accounts (everything is set on autopay from a checking account I keep at a $10k balance, and mint.com allows me to monitor transactions on all of the cards at one glance), 4) you must pay a mint in interest and fees (every account is PIF on due date so I pay no interest, and I have only two cards I pay annual fees on; the Marriott which gives me a free hotel night worth more than the annual fee, and the USBank Travel which every year gives me more than enough bonus points to pay the "fee" with).

Chris.

Having that many makes me feel more comfortable that my 15 wont hurt my score so bad. If you have a house already, it's ok I guess. I know the only reason I have as many as I do is all these 200 dollar bonuses and such. Hard to say no to free money. I do have to ask though. Why did you get that many? Is it the rewards? Just please don't tell me you needed 6-2% rewards cards in case they nerf 5 of them all at the same time.

You are purposefully exaggerating my earlier comment, where I said I had had four 2% rewards cards, designed as built-in redundancy against nerfing -- not cool...if you don't like having multiple rewards cards as backups against nerfing that's fine, but c'mon now, can't we all just get along and simply agree to disagree?  No need for hazing you know?

Message 103 of 109
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

You are purposefully exaggerating my earlier comment, where I said I had had four 2% rewards cards, designed as built-in redundancy against nerfing -- not cool...if you don't like having multiple rewards cards as backups against nerfing that's fine, but c'mon now, can't we all just get along and simply agree to disagree?  No need for hazing you know?

I was only joking with you Chris, you do not need to explain crap to me, my opinions are just that.....opinions....Please do not take joking and exaggerating personal and I'm truly sorry if I offended you. You obviously are not hurting your score so if you want 45 or 145 cards, it's not hurting anyone, and my opinion is no better than yours.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 104 of 109
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

I was only joking with you Chris, you do not need to explain crap to me, my opinions are just that.....opinions....

My name is not Chris, but thank you for the helpful clarification  Smiley Happy

Message 105 of 109
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

I was only joking with you Chris, you do not need to explain crap to me, my opinions are just that.....opinions....

My name is not Chris, but thank you for the helpful clarification  Smiley Happy

Galahad, I called you Chris...actually twice since I was editing the comment before I realized you were not the one with 45 cards. I do often exaggerate peoples comments but it is never meant to hurt someone. Some say I'm a smarta$$, and I guess I am, but I only mean it in fun. So, once again, no harm was meant.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 106 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Well, you don't have to worry about offending me. I think it's rather hilarious that I have 45 cards! Smiley LOL

I did get most of the cards for their startup bonus. I have also been known to be attracted to a good rewards program for the long term, but that consideration is usually secondary to the startup bonus.

As for why I *keep* all 45 cards, well, that's mostly laziness. I just don't see any good reason to take the effort to cancel any of these cards, so the default is to keep them. Aside from that, I've also taken advantage of opportunities to pull a little used card out of the sock drawer and put, say $500 of charges on it to get a $25 statement credit. Issuers love to use these targeted promos in hopes it will bring their card to front-of-wallet. They sometimes particularly zero-in on cards that have been dormant for a while. So I'll take the bait and that card will start getting some use for general purchases, just until I hit the spending requirement, then it goes back into the sock drawer. I see it as all part of the game.

Chris.

Message 107 of 109
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Well, you don't have to worry about offending me. I think it's rather hilarious that I have 45 cards! Smiley LOL

I did get most of the cards for their startup bonus. I have also been known to be attracted to a good rewards program for the long term, but that consideration is usually secondary to the startup bonus.

As for why I *keep* all 45 cards, well, that's mostly laziness. I just don't see any good reason to take the effort to cancel any of these cards, so the default is to keep them. Aside from that, I've also taken advantage of opportunities to pull a little used card out of the sock drawer and put, say $500 of charges on it to get a $25 statement credit. Issuers love to use these targeted promos in hopes it will bring their card to front-of-wallet. They sometimes particularly zero-in on cards that have been dormant for a while. So I'll take the bait and that card will start getting some use for general purchases, just until I hit the spending requirement, then it goes back into the sock drawer. I see it as all part of the game.

Chris.

Now if I had 45 cards, just once I would have to get 2 wallets with about 20 of those cc holders each. You know the ones where you can let them fall out in a long line. I'd go to a restraunt and time to pay have a 5ft line of credit cards from each hand...say pick one!! I can imagine the look on the waiter/waitress face.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 108 of 109
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Be careful.

At 18, I was a financial idiot. Apped for anything I could and ran up balances on one card after the next. Even today, I'm still dealing with some of the consequences of that. In just under 8 months, I'll finally be debt free. 

Personally, I don't like having more than 3 cards at
My disposal to use. What I've done is set up small recurring charges (Hulu/Netflix/Spotify/etc) on the cards I don't want to use, in order to preserve my credit history and I have shredded them so I'm not tempted to use them. 

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 109 of 109
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.