New Visitor
silverstring

Sorry... kind of a dumb ? about monthly balance payments

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question but I just want to make sure.  I have a capital one card.  Nov's statement was an ending balance of say $300 and is due next week.  Since I got that statement let's say I racked up $200 more in charges, so now I have a total balance of $500.  I usually go online and pay any charges Friday of every week but with Christmas and traveling going on I haven't really kept up with it this past month.  I still want to pay my balance off in full so I don't get charged any interest.  So I'm correct in believing that I just need to pay the $300 off to not get charge interest?  Or will I still get charged interest on the $200 I charged since getting my last statement?  

Super Contributor
DI

Re: Sorry... kind of a dumb ? about monthly balance payments

Welcome to the forum.  Yes you are correct.  You only need to pay the current balance in full to avoide interest.  Your new $200 charge will get the same grace period to avoid paying any interest. 
Senior Contributor
txjohn

Re: Sorry... kind of a dumb ? about monthly balance payments

As long as you pay your most recent statement balance by the due date, you will incur no interest on purchases.  Of course any cash/atm transactions would accrue interest from the date of transaction.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}