Frequent Contributor

Sorry, we don't take Discover...

My Amex BCE and Discover More statement cycles are exactly 15 days apart. This is very useful to me because it allows me to use one for just over two weeks, switch to the other, and pay the first off before the statement cycles. But most of the businesses I patronize only accept one or the other, and some accept neither. I use my Freedom card as a backup, but since I might have to use that one at any time of the month, it becomes more of a pain to make sure it's paid off before the statement cycles.

How do those of you who use credit like cash handle this? I get paid once every two weeks, so it's easy for me to say "Use X card for the next 2 weeks, and Y card after that," but lack of acceptance complicates that. I'm considering just using cash as a backup instead.

Senior Contributor

Re: Sorry, we don't take Discover...

Simple way is to just  pay on the backup card when you get paid as ie pay both discover and back up card on same payday

Frequent Contributor

I mostly use Visa cards for my daily purchases ( coffee, lunch .. etc). A lot of businesses actually accept AMEX/Discover so I use my cards to make purchases at such businesses. But probably the best place to use AMEX/Discover is to make online purchases ..At least they're accepted everywhere online! 

Frequent Contributor

Why do you have to stop using any card?

I use my Discover all month. On the day my statement is supposed to close I login before the evening and pay the current balance. Payment posts that day and the statement balance reported is $0.

Same with my Visa. I just transfer the payment from my checking the day the statement closes for what the balance is that day. Statement closes and reports at $0, if anything was still pending and postswill shows up as posted the next day and on the next statement.

Am I missing something, or do people over think this?

Frequent Contributor

Payments don't always post the day you schedule them. The reason I switch from one card to another is so I know that all pending transactions have posted and I still have time to pay all balances several days before the statement closes. Soon I'll have my utilization down enough that it won't matter anymore, but until then, I try to put enough time between my last purchase and the statement closing that I can know for certain that everything is zeroed.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.