Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry, we don't take Discover...

tag
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, we don't take Discover...

My Amex BCE and Discover More statement cycles are exactly 15 days apart. This is very useful to me because it allows me to use one for just over two weeks, switch to the other, and pay the first off before the statement cycles. But most of the businesses I patronize only accept one or the other, and some accept neither. I use my Freedom card as a backup, but since I might have to use that one at any time of the month, it becomes more of a pain to make sure it's paid off before the statement cycles.

How do those of you who use credit like cash handle this? I get paid once every two weeks, so it's easy for me to say "Use X card for the next 2 weeks, and Y card after that," but lack of acceptance complicates that. I'm considering just using cash as a backup instead.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Sorry, we don't take Discover...

Simple way is to just  pay on the backup card when you get paid as ie pay both discover and back up card on same payday

Message 2 of 5
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I mostly use Visa cards for my daily purchases ( coffee, lunch .. etc). A lot of businesses actually accept AMEX/Discover so I use my cards to make purchases at such businesses. But probably the best place to use AMEX/Discover is to make online purchases ..At least they're accepted everywhere online! 

Current Cards:
Message 3 of 5
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Why do you have to stop using any card?

I use my Discover all month. On the day my statement is supposed to close I login before the evening and pay the current balance. Payment posts that day and the statement balance reported is $0.

Same with my Visa. I just transfer the payment from my checking the day the statement closes for what the balance is that day. Statement closes and reports at $0, if anything was still pending and postswill shows up as posted the next day and on the next statement.

Am I missing something, or do people over think this?

Message 4 of 5
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Payments don't always post the day you schedule them. The reason I switch from one card to another is so I know that all pending transactions have posted and I still have time to pay all balances several days before the statement closes. Soon I'll have my utilization down enough that it won't matter anymore, but until then, I try to put enough time between my last purchase and the statement closing that I can know for certain that everything is zeroed.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.