Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwest Airlines Visa

tag
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

Southwest Airlines Visa

I am looking to get a credit card for travel miles. This card seems to be the best that I have seen. Is there a better one out there?

Starting Score: EQ 564, TU 560
Current Score: EQ 724, TU 770, EX 789
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: Southwest Airlines Visa

First look at where you want to go and see if southwest services those areas.  Southwest is great for domestic travel, not for international.  Start off by looking into what airline best suits your families needs and go from there.

But in general the southwest is a great card for the sign up bonus and the companion pass.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 2 of 26
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response. I am looking to mainlt travel to see family and they service the area. What is the travel companion?

Message 3 of 26
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@whodatnation2 wrote:

Thanks for the response. I am looking to mainlt travel to see family and they service the area. What is the travel companion?

The companion pass is possibly one the greatest things in all of frequent flyer programs.  If you can acquire 110,000 points in one calendar year you are awarded the Southwest companion pass.  It does just what it's called,  The companion of your choosing gets to fly with you for free.  Once you earn 110,000 points in one year the CP s good for the rest of that year and all of the next.  So if you were able to reach the 110,000 points now, you would have almost 2 full years of half off airfare.

Search for it in some of the travel blogs/forums and you will learn more than you need to know.  Good luck.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 4 of 26
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

Any idea of which reports they pull and score requirements?

Message 5 of 26
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@whodatnation2 wrote:

I applied 2 days ago they pulled Experian and I was approved.  Score was 702, only 'baddies' are a 30 late in 2009 and 5 PAID tax liens.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 6 of 26
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

What waas the limit they gave you, if you don't mind me asking?

Message 7 of 26
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@sailor_mercury wrote:

@whodatnation2 wrote:

I applied 2 days ago they pulled Experian and I was approved.  Score was 702, only 'baddies' are a 30 late in 2009 and 5 PAID tax liens.

Also,

I applied from a pre-approved offer that include a 50,000 bonus points for opening the card (I had 12,000 points on my frequent flyer acct).  You might want to make sure you get a similar signing bonus.

HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 8 of 26
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@whodatnation2 wrote:

What waas the limit they gave you, if you don't mind me asking?

No worries asking Smiley Happy   $5k but I have a VERY VERY VERY thin file for credit cards/revolvers.  My AAoA is over 7 years but that's from student loans.  When I was married we did everything under my exhusband and I've had to build from scratch.  I've had a secured card since Feb-2013, SleepTrain GECRB since May-2013, CareCredit GECRB since July-2013 and NFCU Cash Rewards $17,500 CL since Nov-13.

HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 9 of 26
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

How can I get the 50000 point bonus, all I see now is a 25000 bonus.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.