Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwest - Getting 2K rolled through in 3 months

tag
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Southwest - Getting 2K rolled through in 3 months

I took Southwest up on its 60K offer and now have to figure out to how to put through over 2K of purchases in 3 months (and PIF while I do it).

I thought easy peasy, I'll run our apartment rent through. Nope its an additional $45 fee. Smiley Mad

Now I'm going to need to be creative. I've heard of businesses, putting their bills onto auto pay with a credit card. Should I do the same and just plan on making bi-monthly payments?

Any way I can track the $2K on Chase's site?

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Southwest - Getting 2K rolled through in 3 months

I had a neighbor of mine run into this situation and ask if I was going to charge anything big in the coming weeks that I could give him cash for in order to have him charge it to meet his spending bonus.  I told him that since I'm already earning 2-4% on my charges it wouldn't make sense for me, but maybe you can ask friends and family the same thing?

$2000 in 90 days = $22 per day on there.  Put gas, groceries, utility bills, etc.

My utility bills charge a fee if I do a manual payment by CC but waive the fee if I do autopay with it.  So see if your utility bills work that way.

Some methods of meeting spending bonuses are against the rules here on MyFico forums so be cautious making sure you stay within the rules!

Message 2 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Look for things you pay for anyway, either with cash, check, transfers from bank accounts, or by charging on other cards. That may be enough to cover you. Whether you use automatic payments or manual payments would be your preference.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Look for things you pay for anyway, either with cash, check, transfers from bank accounts, or by charging on other cards. That may be enough to cover you. Whether you use automatic payments or manual payments would be your preference.

2k in 3 months is only 666 dollars a month.  You can pay your car insurance via credit card that is one people often forget about.  Christmas is coming up so that is more spending. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's my recommendation take it or leave it:

Since this card has no large reward categories (Meaning no 3-5% for Redtaurants, Gas, Target, Walmart etc.) make the most of the standard 1x points category.

What I do is go to CardCash.com (or similar sites) and stock up on giftcards you can use throughout the year for restaurants, department stores, wherever you normally shop. That definitely puts a dent into it.

Other than that, use it for Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping.

Good Luck!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cardcash.com is a website that sells giftcards at discounted prices turning your 1x points into 5% or more discount.
Message 6 of 8
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Cell phone bill, cable bill, car insurance, groceries, utilities, entertainments, netflix, gas, eating out.....anything you pay for that can be purchased with a CC. 

Message 7 of 8
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a neighbor of mine run into this situation and ask if I was going to charge anything big in the coming weeks that I could give him cash for in order to have him charge it to meet his spending bonus.  I told him that since I'm already earning 2-4% on my charges it wouldn't make sense for me, but maybe you can ask friends and family the same thing?

$2000 in 90 days = $22 per day on there.  Put gas, groceries, utility bills, etc.

My utility bills charge a fee if I do a manual payment by CC but waive the fee if I do autopay with it.  So see if your utility bills work that way.

Some methods of meeting spending bonuses are against the rules here on MyFico forums so be cautious making sure you stay within the rules!

It is not my intention to break rules. Just having a mental block trying to figure this out. I think I was more surprised or caught off guard at the fee I would have to pay if I used a credit card to pay rent. 

When it is broken down by time and money that needs to be spent, it’s doable. I don’t want to carry a balance so it’s a matter of switching things around so it can happen. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.