Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwest Redemption Help...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Southwest Redemption Help...

First time booking with points on my RR account. I am booking a trip to San Diego for this coming September and the cost is $780 for two round trip flights or 47,112 RR points. Is this a good redemption rate? I've never used points to book with anything yet, so I apologize for the lack of intelligence here, just need a little assistance with how to make sure I always get good redemption rates. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Southwest Redemption Help...

@Anonymous wrote:

First time booking with points on my RR account. I am booking a trip to San Diego for this coming September and the cost is $780 for two round trip flights or 47,112 RR points. Is this a good redemption rate? I've never used points to book with anything yet, so I apologize for the lack of intelligence here, just need a little assistance with how to make sure I always get good redemption rates. Thanks in advance!

For that redemption, you are getting 1.65 cents per point which is just above the 1.5 that the SW points are generally valued at by the PointsGuy.  If you have the points (which you do) and are happy with it, then this is a good use of your points.  Enjoy your trip when it comes up.  I would say this though. Its a bit early to book SW flights in September. If it were me, I'd wait for one of their sales.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For that redemption, you are getting 1.65 cents per point which is just above the 1.5 that the SW points are generally valued at by the PointsGuy.  If you have the points (which you do) and are happy with it, then this is a good use of your points.  Enjoy your trip when it comes up.  I would say this though. Its a bit early to book SW flights in September. If it were me, I'd wait for one of their sales.

Thank you for the great/detailed response! When is the best time to book SW? I did go ahead and book this trip. If I check regularly and find a better redemption rate, can't I change flights and get an account credit back to my RR?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the great/detailed response! When is the best time to book SW? I did go ahead and book this trip. If I check regularly and find a better redemption rate, can't I change flights and get an account credit back to my RR?

They have periodic sales that come up quite often so I would be on the lookout for one of those.  If you cancel your existing reservatiin, the points will be redeposited into your account (can take up to 4 days) and then you could rebook on the lesser expensive flight.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They have periodic sales that come up quite often so I would be on the lookout for one of those.  If you cancel your existing reservatiin, the points will be redeposited into your account (can take up to 4 days) and then you could rebook on the lesser expensive flight.

Nice to know, thank you. Should I cancel it now and hope the price drops? I used this link here: https://www.southwest.com/html/promotions/nationwide-sale-160329.html?clk=HOMEHERO_MBS160412 as it was a sale going on.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the one awesome thing with SW. Refundable fares Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice to know, thank you. Should I cancel it now and hope the price drops? I used this link here: https://www.southwest.com/html/promotions/nationwide-sale-160329.html?clk=HOMEHERO_MBS160412 as it was a sale going on.

No, I wouldn't cancel the reservation now.  It's entirely possible that this sale will be the least expensive you'll find for the year.  I would just periodically check to see if there is a big price drop.  Otherwise be happy that you're getting free flights and not worry too much about it.  It's a good redemption either way.

Message 7 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

As Irish observed, Southwest Rapid Rewards is a fixed point redemption system where 1.6 cpp equivalent is in the middle to high range for its value.  With Southwest, it's more important to ensure you have the best fare, such as a "wanna-get-away" fare.

Airfare is extremely volatile and fluctuates daily.  In general, it's never a good idea to purchase (unless fully refundable) more than 4 - 6 weeks before travel.  Invariably, prices will narrow and being to lower towards 4 - 6 week mark.  Usually, the best fares are those where the Carriers will adjust/compete with their pricing within 3 - 4 weeks.  During the 3 - 4 week mark, if you see a good price, then it's best to purchase the ticket.  In addition, Tuesdays and Saturdays will have the best pricing for some Carriers; so, if you're flexible, you will always get a better price than others.

To narrow down best pricing:

1.  Use google flights - check your fare/route/day for ALL carriers.  

2.  Check Kayak (or, some other equivalent).  Once in a while, they'll have lower fares than published the carriers (though, google flights should include these other airfare search engines).

3.  All fares have a 24 hour refund period.

4.  On your net cost, do factor in the rebate of any rewards, CC points and promos (search for them).

Finally, Southwest fares DO NOT appear on searches and must be condutcted on their site.  Southwest is unique in that they do not charge a fee for refund or exchange making them ideal to use as a hedge.  In other words, to ensure you have a flight at your date of travel, reserve Southwest; when their fare lowers, book the lower fare and cancel the existing reservation with a higher fare.  Rinse and repeat until T - 6 weeks and start checking the prices for ALL carriers.  If another carrier offers a considerably better price than Southwest during the period, reserve the ticket.  Then, wait 24 hours to see if Southwest price matches the fare; if not, keep the price and cancel your Southwest for a full refund.

This is how I purchase my tickets.  Naturally, do sign up whichever FF carrier used, utilize the perks and the Airline's CC if you plan to fly them frequently.

Good luck!

*Edited*  PS - If you have Soutwest booked (as a hedge), you can wait after T - 3 weeks and sometimes score some really good fares!  However, generally, within 2 weeks, fares will not lower much and will increase within the 10 day mark.

PS - Also, check round trip fare vs. one way fare X2.  Sometimes, one way routes with different carriers will be more cost effective.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: Cost of the flight went down so instead of using 47k points, I used 39k and the rest were credited to my account almost immediately. Thanks for all the help!

Question though: the hotel I am staying at is a Hyatt, what is the average cpp for redemptions through Hyatt?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.