Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwest Visa Limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Southwest Visa Limit?

I fly Southwest pretty much whenever I can but it never really dawned on me to app for their card. Yesterday I was on their site booking a flight and as I was checking out and about to pay with my AMEX a flashing link on the side got my attention with 50,000 bonus miles after first purchase with their RR card. As the familiar story goes I was planning on gardening for another six months as the last CC I opened was the AMEX back in October but I couldn't resist 2 free RT tickets. I got an instant approval and along with the ref number and the "you'll receive your welcome package in 2 weeks" stuff it said I have a "Temporary limit of 2500 to complete my current purchase and start earning double points immediately."

My question is does that mean my limit is 2500 or is that just a efault number they afford people until their true limit is sent in that welcome packet?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Southwest Visa Limit?

I don't have experience on the instant limit available for Southwest but I do know Zappos Credit Card and instant available while checking out (also backed by Chase) My mom had applied for Zappos while checking out and it gave an instant $400... When the card arrived it had a credit line of $9900!

I also know Dillards when you apply in store, if you get instant approval for Dillards American Express your limit is always $1500 in store that day, then when the card comes it is usually higher, but if you apply online, they give you the full CL instantly, Wish I had known before doing it online!! but htat is GE.

Message 2 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I fly Southwest pretty much whenever I can but it never really dawned on me to app for their card. Yesterday I was on their site booking a flight and as I was checking out and about to pay with my AMEX a flashing link on the side got my attention with 50,000 bonus miles after first purchase with their RR card. As the familiar story goes I was planning on gardening for another six months as the last CC I opened was the AMEX back in October but I couldn't resist 2 free RT tickets. I got an instant approval and along with the ref number and the "you'll receive your welcome package in 2 weeks" stuff it said I have a "Temporary limit of 2500 to complete my current purchase and start earning double points immediately."

My question is does that mean my limit is 2500 or is that just a efault number they afford people until their true limit is sent in that welcome packet?

CONGRATS on your approval!!!

I would think that it's default and the limit will be higher, call in and ask!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 12
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I applied for a United Explorer VISA card the other night (using a 65000 mile bonus and $50 statement credit offer link...wink wink) and got an instant approval with a temporary limit of $5k to immediately use on United's website.  If you call the "check application status" number for Chase CCs (800-432-3117) and put your SS number after you follow some prompts, you will get your CL and APR info.  Mine was $13k.  Very happy to say the least.

CONGRATS on your new card!  I have one too but don't use it so much as I get more bang from my Freedom and CSP.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 4 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

I applied for a United Explorer VISA card the other night (using a 65000 mile bonus and $50 statement credit offer link...wink wink) and got an instant approval with a temporary limit of $5k to immediately use on United's website.  If you call the "check application status" number for Chase CCs (800-432-3117) and put your SS number after you follow some prompts, you will get your CL and APR info.  Mine was $13k.  Very happy to say the least.

CONGRATS on your new card!  I have one too but don't use it so much as I get more bang from my Freedom and CSP.

CONGRATS on your United approval! also very nice CL!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 12
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

CONGRATS on your United approval! also very nice CL!!!

thank you!  About time!  I've had 4 CCs with Chase for a while now with 5k limits on 2 of them and the others lower....grrr.  This is the first Chase card I've app'd for in 2 years and they matched my Penfed VISA limit I just got.  I have a few others with >10k as well.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you call the application status number for your limit?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the United card. and thanks for the info, I called the number you gave and after a few prompts my limit is 7500. I was hoping itd be higher but Im only planning on using the card for my SW flights. I fly at least once a month for work so my points should add up fast!!! Thanks again for the info

Message 8 of 12
lanc
Regular Contributor

I wish I booked the tickets your way...I put 400$ worth of tickets on a crap1 card for 1.5% back and then apped for the sw card for future travel.  Anyway I was approved for 7500 Chase southwest rewards so I'm sure your cl will be higher.  I'm willing to bet chase system alerts Southwest to say approved and they can give you the 2500 for immediate travel but the bank has to add the paperwork to your true amount.  It sounds more like 2500 is the cl lowest...

Message 9 of 12
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@lanc wrote:

I wish I booked the tickets your way...I put 400$ worth of tickets on a crap1 card for 1.5% back and then apped for the sw card for future travel.  Anyway I was approved for 7500 Chase southwest rewards so I'm sure your cl will be higher.  I'm willing to bet chase system alerts Southwest to say approved and they can give you the 2500 for immediate travel but the bank has to add the paperwork to your true amount.  It sounds more like 2500 is the cl lowest...

If you app'd through the airline website the new card should be added to your profile for purchases.  It would be under Payment Options or something like that.  United does it that way.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.