Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwest Visa & Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Southwest Visa & Chase Sapphire Preferred

What would be the benefit to having both cards, if any?

I received my CSP early last month. I fly mostly SW, so regardless, I was planning to use CSP for either 1:1 Rapid Rewards or hotels. With the amazing sign up bonus now for the Southwest Visa Signature, do you think it would be worth the additional annual fee to have the second card? (Granted, it would be another hard inquiry...)

I also have the Chase Freedom, which obviously works great with the Sapphire Preferred.

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Southwest Visa & Chase Sapphire Preferred

The reason to get both cards is the sign up bonus. But there is no reason to keep both cards beyond a year. The anniversary points don't fully offset the sw annual fee and all the benefits of the sw card exist in the csp.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 8
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

If you fly primarily SWA the premier rapid rewards card will be a better points earner for you. In addition to that the annual bonus offsets the annual fee. Every year on your anniversary you get 6000 points worth $100 wanna get away fares. Annual fee $99, so even if you are spending much your essentially buying $100 worth of fare every year.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

How would opening the account in order to receive the awards look for my credit score? Currently, on TransUnion it is 735; however, it is rated a "C" because:

Time since oldest account opened is too recent. (Last opened CSP 5/23/13)

You have too few credit accounts. (I have Freedom and CSP each with $5k--pay my balance every three days, so never taking more than 5-10% of CL)

You have no retail revolving accounts that can be used in determining a credit score.

I am a law student; however, I do have a very steady job, and pay down my student loans each month ($500/month), even though they are not due yet. With that said, ideally, do you think it is smart to open another credit line to increase reliability? In two years (coincidentally the year I am graduating law school) I will then have no hard inquiries, if I do so now. I am just worried about opening another line so soon. Therefore, wouldn't that be a benefit of mine when I go buy a house?

Sorry, obviously very new to this, but I am very interested and working hard to get to 800+.

Message 5 of 8
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Please help! Smiley Happy

I'm also thinking about instead of Southwest, of obtaining a HHonors or SPG Amex. This way, I could take advantage of a possible 3x CLI through AMEX with a soft hit and not have to worry about anymore hard pulls. I would also be able to get hotel points and use the CSP for only Southwest flights.

Any thoughts? How do some of you divide your spending between the CSP and other cards?

Message 6 of 8
Ailee92

For all dining and travel categories on the Sapphire. @ 2x and the 7% dividend, with the ability to switch points to United is a big one, since Southwest points required can get VERY high at last minute flights I've seen upto 50k for domestic flights less than 2 weeks prior. On United you can usually find domestic flights at 25k round trip the day of the trip. Not to mention if you ever decide to go internationally United is much better. I would try to get a Chase Ink if you can, and just buy Southwest gift cards @ 5x

Message 7 of 8
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

That's a great idea for points! Hopefully a great sign up bonus will be posted tomorrow for small business week for the Chase Ink.

Does it make sense to gear towards an amex card so I can get the 3x CLI possibly without having a hard pull?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.