Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwest Visa vs CSP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Southwest Visa vs CSP

Morning,

I've been thinking about grabbing either the CSP or the SWA Visa for the sign up bonus primarily, which I have the 50,000 points for $2k spend in 3 months offer from Southwest.  Both seem about the same as far as that one time gain.  I do have a couple of concerns, however.  

Primarily, I am not 100% sure I would meet the CSP $4k spend in 3 months.  I do have a trip to Chicago coming in September, so I'd be booking flights and event tickets on that, but I still don't think I'd hit $4k, it would be close.  I think I can obviously easily meet the $2k spend on SWA.  I'd be apping late June right as the restaraunt category falls off the Freedom, which is one of my larger spend categories.  

So that seems to suggest that the SWA card would be a better choice for me since my goal is the sign up bonuses, but I honestly question whether I'd use it for anything thereafter other than SWA bookings.  I fly SWA 3-4 times a year on average right now.  Additionally, I think I like the idea of the 6,000 points at least partially offsetting the annual fee.

i guess my question really is am I missing something in leveraging the CSP/Freedom combo that might put it over the top and perhaps I could accelerate some purchases such as new work clothes etc in order to definitely meet the $4k spend requirement?

I've been in a mini app spree and already hit the spend bonuses on the Freedom and Quicksilver.  My Equifax currently shows 731 and TU shows 790.

Other Cards:

BBT Visa 3.5k

Amex BCE 10k

Chase Freedom 10k

Citi Double Cash 10k

Capital One Quicksilver 10k

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Southwest Visa vs CSP

@Anonymous wrote:

Morning,

I've been thinking about grabbing either the CSP or the SWA Visa for the sign up bonus primarily, which I have the 50,000 points for $2k spend in 3 months offer from Southwest.  Both seem about the same as far as that one time gain.  I do have a couple of concerns, however.  

Primarily, I am not 100% sure I would meet the CSP $4k spend in 3 months.  I do have a trip to Chicago coming in September, so I'd be booking flights and event tickets on that, but I still don't think I'd hit $4k, it would be close.  I think I can obviously easily meet the $2k spend on SWA.  I'd be apping late June right as the restaraunt category falls off the Freedom, which is one of my larger spend categories.  

So that seems to suggest that the SWA card would be a better choice for me since my goal is the sign up bonuses, but I honestly question whether I'd use it for anything thereafter other than SWA bookings.  I fly SWA 3-4 times a year on average right now.  Additionally, I think I like the idea of the 6,000 points at least partially offsetting the annual fee.

i guess my question really is am I missing something in leveraging the CSP/Freedom combo that might put it over the top and perhaps I could accelerate some purchases such as new work clothes etc in order to definitely meet the $4k spend requirement?

I've been in a mini app spree and already hit the spend bonuses on the Freedom and Quicksilver.  My Equifax currently shows 731 and TU shows 790.

Other Cards:

BBT Visa 3.5k

Amex BCE 10k

Chase Freedom 10k

Citi Double Cash 10k

Capital One Quicksilver 10k

Go for the SW if it suits your spend better.

Message 2 of 4
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

If you don't spend much the CSP is likely not going to be a card you are going to want to keep anyway.  At least with the Southwest card the 6,000 Southwest points offset the $99 AF - and since you are taking 3-4 flights a year you would end up using those points.

Message 3 of 4
medo
Frequent Contributor

The CSP is more diverse so I always recommend it over the SWA card.  

However on the basis of starting rewards, go with the SWA then maybe 4-6 months later, app for the CSP.  I did this as well and ended up closing the SWA card since it was a bit redundant plus the CSP earns more.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.