Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwest points help

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Southwest points help

A friend of mine asked me for advice for the best deal on her SWRR points redemption. I'm terrible at the math that comes with doing pints valuation. Here was her question:

"So I can pay about 65$ roundtrip for my flight use 9,000 points. OR I can use 12,000 points but only 20-25$. Which would you do?"

Which is the best deal?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Southwest points help

@icyhot wrote:
A friend of mine asked me for advice for the best deal on her SWRR points redemption. I'm terrible at the math that comes with doing pints valuation. Here was her question:

"So I can pay about 65$ roundtrip for my flight use 9,000 points. OR I can use 12,000 points but only 20-25$. Which would you do?"

Which is the best deal?

I think the first question would be, what is the original price (no miles) of the flight she is looking at?

Message 2 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Might depend more on how they plan on using the card after the trip.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first option would be best as your friend would be getting .007 cents per point for the purchase. However, since Southwest points are valued between .014 and .019 cents, it wouldn't be a very good redemption.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.