Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speigel and Newport News- Advice for rebuilders

tag
tri3nity
Contributor

Re: Speigel and Newport News- Advice for rebuilders

Is the preapproved link on the site? We didn't see it.

Starting Score: 1/2011 TU 539 EQ 481
Current Score: 2/2011 TU 542 EQ 489 EX 505
Goal Score: 620+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 19
Bella1980
Established Contributor

This is the link for speigels....fill out name and address and it will tell you if you are preapproved....I'll look for newport news next and post it.

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 19
Bella1980
Established Contributor

http://www.newport-news.com/credit/preapprove.aspx

This is the link for newport news.

Message 13 of 19
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

i think in rebuilding, people get app happy- it's like they app before they think and once they get 1 approval (say CJ), it's off to the races.  i started rebuilding w/first premier and orchards...waited for them to age 1 yr w/o apping for ANYTHING else b/c i didn't want to get a bunch of ccs i'd likely never use...ex., CJ, most store ccs.  after that year, i decided to go on a bit of an app spree- though compared to most, it's what they do in 1 day haha  i got target red b/c i shop there and wanted a store cc to diversify my reports....then i started looking for 'replacement ccs'- e.g., 'next step up the ladder' so when it came time to dump first premier/orchard (who will NOT grow w/me), i wouldn't be scrambling to make up the 'loss in available credit.'   i also wanted some new ccs to age w/me BEFORE i closed orchards/first premier.  so far, i've added cap 1, hooters, and BA 99/500.

rebuilding takes time.  for now, i'm sitting tight...i've got my 'wish list' of ccs i'd like some day- maybe when my ficos hit 700s (i'm soooo close now)...ex., citibank, chase, but i realize those will come in due time. instead of apping or worrying about my fico scores, i'm focusing on continuing to manage my existing ccs wisely and continuing to repair.
Message 14 of 19
Bella1980
Established Contributor

Very,very smart. I think I learnt something about myself in this process. The inability to control my urges, I would read abt an app and just got for it,now over 50% of my cards are useless to me and I may have to deal with them for a while so as to not get the closures.

I really regret apping for so many cards but am glad that it happened now rather than later. I like you am going to just manage the cards I have now and not try to app again for 2 years.  I really don't need to get anymore credit at this point: prime or not.

My immediate goals are to get a loan for school next year, hopefully by Feburary, if I don't qualify I will have to get a cosignor and then I will app again in 2 years once all these inquiries are gone so I can have a fresh slate.

creditreformer wrote:
i think in rebuilding, people get app happy- it's like they app before they think and once they get 1 approval (say CJ), it's off to the races.  i started rebuilding w/first premier and orchards...waited for them to age 1 yr w/o apping for ANYTHING else b/c i didn't want to get a bunch of ccs i'd likely never use...ex., CJ, most store ccs.  after that year, i decided to go on a bit of an app spree- though compared to most, it's what they do in 1 day haha  i got target red b/c i shop there and wanted a store cc to diversify my reports....then i started looking for 'replacement ccs'- e.g., 'next step up the ladder' so when it came time to dump first premier/orchard (who will NOT grow w/me), i wouldn't be scrambling to make up the 'loss in available credit.'   i also wanted some new ccs to age w/me BEFORE i closed orchards/first premier.  so far, i've added cap 1, hooters, and BA 99/500.

rebuilding takes time.  for now, i'm sitting tight...i've got my 'wish list' of ccs i'd like some day- maybe when my ficos hit 700s (i'm soooo close now)...ex., citibank, chase, but i realize those will come in due time. instead of apping or worrying about my fico scores, i'm focusing on continuing to manage my existing ccs wisely and continuing to repair.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have quite a few of those preapproved on-line accounts like Midnight Velvet, 7th Avenue, Ginnys, Mason and Massey Shoes.  They are all pretty good cls--1000 and up.  They have never pulled hard inq and do not report to CRAs.  I use them once in awhile at Christmas to send candy, oranges etc.  I think I bought a couple of coats and they were beautiful (from Midnight Velvet).  They don't do anything for your credit.  Sometimes I'm too lazy to go to stores.
Message 16 of 19
tri3nity
Contributor

Do you know of any more pre-approval links Bella? After looking at the Spiegel catalog, that would've been more for me than him.

Starting Score: 1/2011 TU 539 EQ 481
Current Score: 2/2011 TU 542 EQ 489 EX 505
Goal Score: 620+

Message 17 of 19
goodgirl-badcredit
Frequent Contributor

When I went online to the newport news page. The preapproval page. If you look on the bottom of the page it states "If you did not receive a pre-approved credit offer but would like to apply click here" It basically takes you to the credit card application? Where is the preapproval link?

Starting Score: 3/21 EQ 636 TU 669
Current Score: 12/30 EQ 740 TU 712 EX ??? ....
Goal Score: Yay... I reached my goal of 700!!!

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Montgomery Wards and Fingerhut send those pre-approvals all the time with their catalogues.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.