cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spend gazillion dollars in the 1st 3 months for 10-25K points...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spend gazillion dollars in the 1st 3 months for 10-25K points...

@JaysonT wrote:

The only real reason to take adavantage of any of those offers is if you already have plans to spend the money anyway.  If you are going to spend the money with or without the offer, getting even 1% return is better than 0% return.

This... plain and simple.  Don't make it more complicated than it is.  If you used to buy gas and groceries at full price, and now you buy the same gas and groceries you need to buy anyway and someone wants to give you a free flight for it at no cost to you?  You'd be stupid not to.

Message 11 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@birjest wrote:

Ok, I have been a member here since October.  Receive great cards after 3 years of financial recovery and heavy (only) debit card usages.  So, here is my question...why do people go wayyy out of their way to push tons of money through a card, just to get....let say 25k points, which is equal to $625 in airline fare or similar?  I just received an email about spend $10k in 3 months to get 25k points and a year later, spend the same amount for 25k points.

True, there are reasons for everything, however, when the Apprentice was the #1 show, I learned a lot from the show, as well as CNBC, and what I learned was Return of Investments (ROI).  So, again, where are the ROI, if you have to push so much, or spend so much in 3 months or less just to get so little in return for points.  Understand all about the 2,3,5% cash back, but I just don't see the returns.  Is it me?

To me, it's free money I wouldn't get running it though a debit card and it's way safer than a debit card using a CC.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 19
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

To me, it's free money I wouldn't get running it though a debit card and it's way safer than a debit card using a CC.

Definitely!  I feel really edgy about having my bank card hanging out there.  I've pretty much stopped using it altogether.  With the cost of living increasing all the time, many of these offers are pretty easy to benefit from just with day-to-day usage, and with much lower risk!

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just switched my PenFed to their points card.  Equivalant of $50 in points after first purchase and another $200 if you spend $1000 in 3 months.  Completely worth it.

Not nearly rich enough to be able to spend $10k in 3 months, that's a bit extreme!

Message 14 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Rewards cards only really work if you don't step out of your usual spending patterns.

If you wind up spending more than you normally would, you're shooting yourself in the foot. (And there are studies that do show that those using plastic typically spend more than those who don't, but there are a lot of variables there, far beyond simply using plastic.) The extra expenditures are NOT cancelled out by the rewards. That's like spending way more for a house than you ought to, telling yourself that it's worth it for taxes, when you'd be better off with a much lower payment and little or no tax credit. (Heresy, I know. Smiley Very Happy)

The cards that require spending a "gazillion dollars" generally work for those who can run work expenses through them. Most of us don't have enough in normal expenses to qualify, unless we can somehow run our rent or mortgage through as well.

+1 for the best thread title I've seen in a while! Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 19
birjest
Frequent Contributor

THAT IS VERY TRUE!!!!  I use to rely on my debit cards reward program (which was good).  Now that I have been unplugged from the Matrix, I can now see clearly that cc are the way to go.  True, most Americans don't trust cc..I was one of them. A faithful Dave Ramsey follower.  However, if one does not have a cc, then use what you have until one can acquiring one. 

IDK, I thought of running my car/home insurance through my AMEX card, and maybe car note.  But again, what would gain? A larger credit limit on my AMEX?  Hope that AMEX offer me a plat/gold card for running 20k a year? 

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 16 of 19
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I don't spend money specifically to get rewards. That's stupid. However, I do spend the money I was going to spend anyway, so why not spend it with a card that's going to pay me back? As an example, I use credit cards almost exclusively and then PIF each month. I might push $1000 through my cards paying bills, buying groceries, gas, and other routine purchases each month. If a credit card offers me $150 when I spend $1000 in 3 months like my AMEX BCP did, I'll bite! It's a bank paying me to do what I was going to do anyway. I have used that BCP continuously since opening it in December and already have over $300 cash back. That really adds up over time!

Message 17 of 19
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Now, that is a good way of looking at it. 

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The part that statistically people spend more with a credit card is true. When I got my very first CC last year when grocery shopping the first time I bought a bit more junk food than usual, also on xbox live I bought some virtual clothes for my avatar with real money. I would not have done that without a credit card. Buying virtual stuff for a virtual character with real money. lol

However once a few months went by and I saw exactly how much money I was spending per month that was a little horrifying. With a debit card you don't see exactly how much you spend per month. I always just went out to eat, and bought various things because I had the money, and each paycheck kept giving me more money.

Since then when grocery shopping I have cut back on the junk food and started buying the bargain brands and buying things on sale or in bulk, and only go out to eat maybe 2 or 3 times a month instead of 2-3 times a week. Particularly with the rise of gas prices I have started walking to work since I can walk to work in 15 minutes. I now fill up my car with a full tank of gas once every 2-3 months instead of once every month. This is also going to do wonders for my waistline. A credit card is helping me track my spending because I can see exactly how much spent total that month, and maybe set a goal for the next to cut back a little. The more money I save the sooner I can pay off my student loans and the more personal trips I can afford to take.

The best credit card is always YMMV. So for me a card with excellent gas rewards won't do any good. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.