Reply
New Member
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-26-2013
0

Spending a lot of $$ monthly on a credit card per month but paying off before reporting date

Will spending a lot of $$ on my credit card every month but paying it off before the reporting date improve my score more than charging a small amount and paying it off before the reporting date. Im trying to figure out if it is smart to charge almost everything to my card every month to get points or if that could be hurting my score.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 249
Registered: ‎02-16-2013
0

Re: Spending a lot of $$ monthly on a credit card per month but paying off before reporting date

If you pay it off before the reporting date (to the CRAs) it won't matter if you're charging $1 or $10,000.  That being said, it will matter to the individual creditor who might give you more/bigger CLI if you're using their card a lot.  But score wise, it doesn't matter.  Remember to let 1%-9% of your credit limit report every month to show use.

AMEX True Earnings (14k) || Discover IT (10k) || Chase Sapphire Preferred (6k) || Chase Freedom (6k) || Citi ThankYou Preferred (6.3k) || GE CareCredit (4.9k) || Citi Double Cash (4.9k) || Sallie Mae (4k) || Best Buy (2k) || AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (2k) || Target REDcard (1.5k)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
0

Re: Spending a lot of $$ monthly on a credit card per month but paying off before reporting date

Yes, it is smart to charge almost everything to your card every month to get points, as long as you PIF.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Mega Contributor
Posts: 16,670
Registered: ‎08-08-2011
0

Re: Spending a lot of $$ monthly on a credit card per month but paying off before reporting date

I use my cards for everything . I buy everything from burgers to groceries.  I also use shop Discover to get an extra 5 percent and then go to Walmart and pick it up. Since doing that I started getting upgrades and CLI's. Not to mention more money in my pocket. 

Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,694
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Spending a lot of $$ monthly on a credit card per month but paying off before reporting date


coldnmn wrote:

I use my cards for everything . I buy everything from burgers to groceries.  I also use shop Discover to get an extra 5 percent and then go to Walmart and pick it up. Since doing that I started getting upgrades and CLI's. Not to mention more money in my pocket. 


Right, lots of neat little tricks to maximize cashback.

 

For instance, select electronics store with US Bank Cash+.  Use the card to purchase a BB GC through shopdiscover for the 10% roe potential.  Then, use GC through shopdiscover again for another 5% potential.  All in all, can have 15% cashback on a single purchase.  Won't make one wealthy, but sure is fun to try.  :smileyhappy:  

 

In all cases, PIF as Bibro alluded to is essential when pushing all of one's bills through a rewards CC.

Mega Contributor
Posts: 16,670
Registered: ‎08-08-2011
0

Re: Spending a lot of $$ monthly on a credit card per month but paying off before reporting date

I also pay insurance,  electricity, phone, and satellite bills anything I can for the awards. If I don't I feel its my money I left on the table.

Super Contributor
Posts: 9,979
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: Spending a lot of $$ monthly on a credit card per month but paying off before reporting date


Open123 wrote:

coldnmn wrote:

I use my cards for everything . I buy everything from burgers to groceries.  I also use shop Discover to get an extra 5 percent and then go to Walmart and pick it up. Since doing that I started getting upgrades and CLI's. Not to mention more money in my pocket. 


Right, lots of neat little tricks to maximize cashback.

 

For instance, select electronics store with US Bank Cash+.  Use the card to purchase a BB GC through shopdiscover for the 10% roe potential.  Then, use GC through shopdiscover again for another 5% potential.  All in all, can have 15% cashback on a single purchase.  Won't make one wealthy, but sure is fun to try.  :smileyhappy:  

 

In all cases, PIF as Bibro alluded to is essential when pushing all of one's bills through a rewards CC.


And keep looking for possibilities.  I've been spending a lot (~10K this year) at my vet.  Since they don't take my Fidelity Amex, I've been charging it to Cap One to get the 1.5%.  However, yesterday looking at my online statement, I discovered the category (as this is an animal hospital) is Charity and Social Service Organizations.  So, maybe I can get 5% back using US Cash Plus once I am allowed to switch categories in Oct.  This would of course be a gross misuse of "Charity" but if the MCC code works...

Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,694
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Spending a lot of $$ monthly on a credit card per month but paying off before reporting date


longtimelurker wrote:

Open123 wrote:

coldnmn wrote:

I use my cards for everything . I buy everything from burgers to groceries.  I also use shop Discover to get an extra 5 percent and then go to Walmart and pick it up. Since doing that I started getting upgrades and CLI's. Not to mention more money in my pocket. 


Right, lots of neat little tricks to maximize cashback.

 

For instance, select electronics store with US Bank Cash+.  Use the card to purchase a BB GC through shopdiscover for the 10% roe potential.  Then, use GC through shopdiscover again for another 5% potential.  All in all, can have 15% cashback on a single purchase.  Won't make one wealthy, but sure is fun to try.  :smileyhappy:  

 

In all cases, PIF as Bibro alluded to is essential when pushing all of one's bills through a rewards CC.


And keep looking for possibilities.  I've been spending a lot (~10K this year) at my vet.  Since they don't take my Fidelity Amex, I've been charging it to Cap One to get the 1.5%.  However, yesterday looking at my online statement, I discovered the category (as this is an animal hospital) is Charity and Social Service Organizations.  So, maybe I can get 5% back using US Cash Plus once I am allowed to switch categories in Oct.  This would of course be a gross misuse of "Charity" but if the MCC code works...


Right, and also I noticed the purchase of Opera tickets are classified as "charity," and should receive the 5% if used on the US Bank Cash+ if "charity" has been chosen.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.