Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spending only in reward categories

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Spending only in reward categories

How do lenders view it when you only use their cards for reward categories?  For example, what if someone only used a Sallie Mae card for 5% categories?  Would they limit the opportunity for CLI because of that, would they take AA?  Would love to hear some stories & experiences with this.

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spending only in reward categories

If they didn't want you to do it, they shouldn't have offered it.
Message 2 of 59
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If they didn't want you to do it, they shouldn't have offered it.

Yes, that is true, though the same could be said about high credit limits and sometimes they take those back if you do something they're not happy about.  Just trying to get a feel  for how to approach it.

Message 3 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure how they view it but personally I only use SM for Target + Wal-Mart (codes as grocery) and Nook purchases. Haven't had the card very long, fourth statement cuts in a couple days but if its an issue they haven't made it known Smiley Happy Not much incentive for me to use the card otherwise. No intro APR period and its 20.9% so if I ever chose to carry a balance it definitely would not be on SM. If its an issue later on down the line Barclay is free to close the card. I love the rewards but Im not married to it or changing my habits. This is all business

Message 4 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ideally they want all your spend, bonus points or not on their cards.

If it really bugs you, put a non bonus recurring charge on there and don't worry about it.
Message 5 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

How do lenders view it when you only use their cards for reward categories?  For example, what if someone only used a Sallie Mae card for 5% categories?  Would they limit the opportunity for CLI because of that, would they take AA?  Would love to hear some stories & experiences with this.

I do not believe it makes any difference to them, they just want your business. I've personally never heard a story of being denied anything because of only using a card for reward categories. That's how I use my cards anyway, especially for the Freedom and Discover rotating 5% categories. I always check my rewards percentages before making purchases to make sure I'm getting the most cash back I can

Message 6 of 59
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

I do not believe it makes any difference to them, they just want your business. I've personally never heard a story of being denied anything because of only using a card for reward categories. That's how I use my cards anyway, especially for the Freedom and Discover rotating 5% categories. I always check my rewards percentages before making purchases to make sure I'm getting the most cash back I can

The only time this becomes an issue is if people start buying lots of GCs in reward categories on a card that does not have a cap (or a very high cap) on spend in rewards categories. Chase has named this as something they will be on the look out for. However, for normal spend in bonus categories it is a complete non-issue. I only use my freedom for items in bonus categories.My Amex BCP was only used for grocery spend, my chase hyatt card is only restaurant spend (at leats until I hit signup bonus).The lender will make more than enough on all your swipes.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

The only time this becomes an issue is if people start buying lots of GCs in reward categories on a card that does not have a cap (or a very high cap) on spend in rewards categories. Chase has named this as something they will be on the look out for. However, for normal spend in bonus categories it is a complete non-issue. I only use my freedom for items in bonus categories.My Amex BCP was only used for grocery spend, my chase hyatt card is only restaurant spend (at leats until I hit signup bonus).The lender will make more than enough on all your swipes.  

You're right, I should've added in the gift card part lol

Message 8 of 59
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

Right, I haven't heard of cases.   Some discussion was started because of a change of language in Chase's T&Cs which talked about getting or maintaining a card soley to obtain rewards.  This almost certainly was language against churning.  Because, even if you use a Freedom on a 1% category, that's still a reward.

That said, of course CCCs would prefer you to spend in the non-reward categories (and always pay a little late,so they get interest but are ot worried about defaulting).  But there is no need to indulge them, unless and until this seems to be a serious policy.  And then the whole calculation changes: a capped 5% that more or less requires 1% spending is not so attractive

Message 9 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only cases where I've heard it be an issue are the churning cases, where you sign up for a card for the signup bonus, cancel the card as soon as you earn it, and then sign up again down the line, and gift card cases, where people abuse the system to purchase gift cards and can actually generate income if done on a large enough scale. Both of those are banstick offenses, but generally only using a card for the 5% categories, no issue with that. 

Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.