Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Cli with Amex cards?

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Split Cli with Amex cards?

I know this is probably a silly question but.......I have two Amex cards and in about 2 months I will be eligible for my next cli. I have a 7200.00 limit on one and 5500.00 on the other. If my goal is to just have a 10k limit on both, could you call and ask for a small increase on both cards?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Split Cli with Amex cards?

I would call CLI on highest card then Split after approved.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 9
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

I was wondering about that as well. So Amex is one that you can move your limits around from one card to another?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 3 of 9
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

I was wondering about that as well. So Amex is one that you can move your limits around from one card to another?

Yes but it has rules. The donor card must be more than 13 statements old so you are looking at 14 months from when you got the card. The receiving card can be newer but not brand new. I believe it's 60 days but it might be 30 days old. Simple to do online but you won't see the transfer credit limit option until at least one card is 13 statement cycles old. Also you can't go from business to personal or personal to business. You are allowed to go personal to personal or business to business. I think you are limited to moving or reallocating a line once every 30 days but again I am not certain on that. 

Ask for the CLI on your highest limit card at 61 days. Ask for a CLI on the other card at 181 days from your 61 day request. Keep both cards for more than a year then you are ready to move some credit. 

Message 4 of 9
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

Yes but it has rules. The donor card must be more than 13 statements old so you are looking at 14 months from when you got the card. The receiving card can be newer but not brand new. I believe it's 60 days but it might be 30 days old. Simple to do online but you won't see the transfer credit limit option until at least one card is 13 statement cycles old. Also you can't go from business to personal or personal to business. You are allowed to go personal to personal or business to business. I think you are limited to moving or reallocating a line once every 30 days but again I am not certain on that. 

Ask for the CLI on your highest limit card at 61 days. Ask for a CLI on the other card at 181 days from your 61 day request. Keep both cards for more than a year then you are ready to move some credit. 

I got the 61 day increase several months ago. I got it on my blue sky since it was opened first and had a lower limit. The cards will not be a year old until Jan. 2014. Thanks for letting me know it had to be a certain amount of time before you could switch limits. I guess I will just ask for enough of an increase to cover both cards when my 6 months hit and then after the cards have aged, I will call and switch them around.

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I would just req clis on both when the time comes. That will be easier than wait to xfer limits and you could closr whichever one you dont want once the other reaches the desired limit.
Unless I missed something, that seems easier.
And make no mistake- it sounds easy to move around clis but issuers seems to be very annoyed whenever Ive called to inquire of such actions.
Good luck though of course ymmv!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 9
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I would just req clis on both when the time comes. That will be easier than wait to xfer limits and you could closr whichever one you dont want once the other reaches the desired limit.
And make no mistake- it sounds easy to move around clis but issuers seems to be very annoyed whenever Ive called to inquire of such actions.

That would be much easier but I didn't think you could ask for one on both at the same time. I thought you had to wait 6 months between requests??

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 7 of 9
oldsouledtory

Thanks for outlining the rules, scenery_guy.  I knew pertinent ones existed governing any AmEx CL transfers, but that's probably the most concise statement I've seen.

Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($13k), Amex BCE ($12k), Amex Hilton Surpass ($10k), Chase Hyatt VS ($9k), Upromise WMC ($5k), Discover It ($4k)
Message 8 of 9
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

That would be much easier but I didn't think you could ask for one on both at the same time. I thought you had to wait 6 months between requests??

Unless the rules changed, it is one increase every six months per cardmember. So you should choose wisely about which card you want to increase.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.