Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sportsman Guide. SCT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sportsman Guide. SCT

Sportsman Guide VISA is a great way to add to your credit profile while waiting for the next new card you actually want to app for.  What's not to like about a VISA for no HP? 

I just got one myself last month; really just to get another card without wasting a HP while I garden the next few months.   To be honest I was much more excited to get this card back then when I couldn't get it.  Now it's kind of ho-hum but the SP aspect is still pretty cool.

Message 11 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at all the cards in your sig.... I don't see why you would even bother with this card.

I don't want it. was just asking about it. they mostly sell. lots of hunting gear. Smiley Wink

It depends whether you are in the market for fishing/hunting gear, ammo, camping stuff, boats, outdoor stuff, etc.  Field & Stream, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, etc. fall within similar categories depending on what you're looking for. 

Now, given that this particular CC is also under the Comentiy family of private label cards, and given your recent ~1K SL with Total Rewards, it is likely you could be offered the same SL - if approved (which won't even help you in the long run if you are artificially padding your utilization - not to mention hurt your AAoA); or it can be declined altogether.  So, it's a toss up at best.  If it's not something you'll need, don't apply for it Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at all the cards in your sig.... I don't see why you would even bother with this card.

I don't want it. was just asking about it. they mostly sell. lots of hunting gear. Smiley Wink

It depends whether you are in the market for fishing/hunting gear, ammo, camping stuff, boats, outdoor stuff, etc.  Field & Stream, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, etc. fall within similar categories depending on what you're looking for. 

Now, given that this particular CC is also under the Comentiy family of private label cards, and given your recent ~1K SL with Total Rewards, it is likely you could be offered the same SL - if approved (which won't even help you in the long run if you are artificially padding your utilization - not to mention hurt your AAoA); or it can be declined altogether.  So, it's a toss up at best.  If it's not something you'll need, don't apply for it Smiley Wink

So true. Since the TR was a shocker. Garden time. But they did get me a whopping 250 increase Smiley Happy   No way do I app for this. As now getting hp on sct

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So true. Since the TR was a shocker. Garden time. But they did get me a whopping 250 increase Smiley Happy   No way do I app for this. As now getting hp on sct

Finstar does make a good point on adding unnecessary cards when you already have established credit (AAoA and all).  

I do want to add that Sportman's has always been a SP through the SCT for myself and from reports on myfico.  The other ones like TotalRewards, FRN may possibly be a HP or SP.  For those who  don't care about AAoA, Sportsmans guide still is a nice trick VISA Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 17
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

I noticed after many months of not being able to get the sct to work on Their visa cards. after every site i visit now they are coming up. Any info about this card? the last time i took people advice i jumped on the Total Rewards Card. and to my Dissapointment. they gave me a pultry. 1250 credit limit. how about this one guys?. just trying to of course pad the util. Smiley Wink

My AAoA has long been shot. as fico told me im not earning a single point in that catagorie. so may as well

Meh, I would get it because it offers an extra discount on top of the cluub membership. You could really save a lot that way. Especially one guns and ammo. 

They did have a code once recently that would take off 20% and stack with your club discount. This would be sweeten the deal even better. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 15 of 17
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Similar for myself. SG gave me first big limit, and I can use it anywhere, being a Visa. The APR is a drag, but it was a great stepping stone.

Message 16 of 17
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Spot on!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.