Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sportsman guide remorse...

tag
fastalkintn
New Contributor

Sportsman guide remorse...

I was having a few drinks the other night and got the sportsman guide pop up and accepted it. Only got a $2500 cl, now I'm wondering if I should cancel it. I called to try for a cli and the csr told me it would be "another hard pull". I thought it was a soft pull. I guess having it could help my utilization, just not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Sportsman guide remorse...

I would just sock drawer it and use it as an util cushion. No harm in just keeping it for a year or so. Drapping is bad for your health. Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 15
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Please no more drunk apping...lol!

If you need it (or think you may need it) for UTL, keep it, use sparingly and PIF. If however you do not foresee ever using it, I would cancel it. Why keep credit that that you don't need...
Message 3 of 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

Cancelling will not necessarily erase the effects of the new account from your credit report and score.

Message 4 of 15
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

I would also advise against anymore shopping card "tricks".

From what I've read, it often ends with a HP anyway (which kinda defeats the purpose), and many get stuck with cards they won't even use (ie some 250lb guy with a shiny new Express or VS card...lol!). HPs are precious, so save them for credit you actually want/need.
Message 5 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

From what I've read, it often ends with a HP anyway (which kinda defeats the purpose), and many get stuck with cards they won't even use (ie some 250lb guy with a shiny new Express or VS card...lol!). HPs are precious, so save them for credit you actually want/need.

+1000

Message 6 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@fastalkintn wrote:
I was having a few drinks the other night and got the sportsman guide pop up and accepted it. Only got a $2500 cl, now I'm wondering if I should cancel it. I called to try for a cli and the csr told me it would be "another hard pull". I thought it was a soft pull. I guess having it could help my utilization, just not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you tried requesting credit line increase online? you might not feel so bad after getting to hit the button 6 times in a row Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 15
fastalkintn
New Contributor

Yep, I tried the luv button but no luv...

Message 8 of 15
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

Some of us 250lb guys with shiny VS cards also have someone who likes what we buy for them on those shiny VS cards. Smiley Happy 

But yeah, if you don't have someone pining for new lingerie, or preppy clothes, or whatever, don't go for a card just because it's a SP. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 9 of 15
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I'd just leave it. I used to use mine often but not much since I got BoA and AMEX.

I even got a small auto-CLI on it after a few months.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.