Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spreadsheet To Keep Up With Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spreadsheet To Keep Up With Accounts

I have a Total of 13 credit cards an it's kind of hard to keep up with my due dates. Someone suggested i make a spreadsheet to keep up with my accounts so i did that an it helps out allot. I get tired of logging into all my account so this really helps me keep track. Thanks to whoever suggested this i can't remember the users name.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Spreadsheet To Keep Up With Accounts

I'm with you about keeping up with accounts.Everyone says use Excel.but the problem I have,is getting started.

If someone can help me (or us) get started, I can keep up. It's just knowing where to put things.

I hope someone can help us.  Smiley Wink 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use to use MINT but i was having issues with it so i started using my own simple spreadsheet that works better.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Bank Of America's "My Portfolio"

Its a program that they offer their customers.  It will let you link in all your cards, bank accounts, airline miles, hotel point accounts etc.

I think it is **bleep** cool.

With my discoverbank.com account they have something similar, but I like the BofA version better.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

I'm with you about keeping up with accounts.Everyone says use Excel.but the problem I have,is getting started.

If someone can help me (or us) get started, I can keep up. It's just knowing where to put things.

I hope someone can help us.  Smiley Wink 

If you want to PM me your email address then I will send you the blank worksheet I have will all the calculations already on it Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

I use Excel. I have my accounts listed on the same spreadsheet with my monthly budget.   I list each card I need to use during a particular month to make sure my cards are not closed for not using them.
Message 6 of 18
Lyythine
Established Contributor

OMG!!! - I have like 4 BofA accounts and NEVER noticed myPortfolio -- It's absolutely FANTASTIC!!! I just added like 30 some accounts to it, including investment, bank, cc, loans, etc:  Its just unbelievable!  Thanks so much for saying that- I too had a spreadsheet - but no longer.

P.S.

I feel like an idiot for never noticing that - I mean, its a giant tab at the top navigation bar... 

Message 7 of 18
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a Total of 13 credit cards an it's kind of hard to keep up with my due dates. Someone suggested i make a spreadsheet to keep up with my accounts so i did that an it helps out allot. I get tired of logging into all my account so this really helps me keep track. Thanks to whoever suggested this i can't remember the users name.

Here's how I do it:

I have a Microsoft Access Database. Easy to setup. I could sent you a copy if you want and you can just copy the fields, rename them, reorder them, or whatever you feel you like to do. Be ready, it's not me, but I'm forced myself to incorporate that into my life.

Field 1: ARCHIVE Y/N - allows me to see closed accounts, or only open accounts

Field 2: Account number...(I assign my own) I use 1100+ for checking, 1500+ for credit cards all personal...2100+ is for business checking. 8100+ is for my dad. It allows me to sort by type and groups similiar accounts by similar numbers. Checking Savings, Investment, Bills, etc etc.

Field 3: Account Name

Field 4: Account Type (Checking, Savings, Investment, etc...)

Field 5: Owner (Me or my business, I also help my father with some of his accounts since he's old and poor)

Field 6: PDF Start Date (wait read on)

Field 7: PDF End Date (wait wait read on)

Field 8: PDF Months (number of months PDF file is available online)

Field 9: File This is an attachment file where I have every statement of every account since it was first opened. I name the PDF with the Field 2 plus STA plus the statement ending date. I use the PDF start date and end date to remind me which accounts need the statement downloaded and when.

File 10: File This is also an attachment file where I can in all my STUFF from the account. Balance transfer aggreements, everything...Takes only a 20 seconds for me to scan a document in, 60 seconds to name it and attach it...takes no space, no skin of my back and I'm good come any surprise

Field 11+ Is just stuff like the website URL that I can click which opens that site in my brower, login and password fields, pin numbers, account numbers, routing numbers, card numbers, expiration dates, a task field that opens a small notepad file with things to do, due dates, amounts due, goals, everything...I often add a field which reminds me if I changed my phone number with the account, or email address, anything that I have to remember...You can right click on the top column and sort by whatever you want, see the due dates, see the accounts you haven't added your new number to, see the accounts with tasks in them, see when your nearest due date is, possiblities are endless.

I have probably over 10,000 documents in here, just one account is over 500 documents and it takes a total 124mb at this time. I back it up to a SanDisk Micro which I keep somewhere else. I use the filename Finance_yymmdd (which shows the date I archived it) I built a few querys that show just info for things I want immediately like due date and amount due, also have a few that serve as a check list when I go in quarterly or every six months and download the statements, save them, and input anything new.

I know that portfolio thing on BofA looks pretty good, but I don't like having one bank having the capability of seeing each and every transaction and balance that I have everywhere else, and what if something changes and I'm relying on BofA to give me the information? 

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 8 of 18
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

Oh and Control C Control V cuts and pastes it into Excel in case I want to do something with it in Excel that is easier to do there...
TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 9 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're Welcome, and glad it helped!

(The thread was this one, and many other folks had great suggestions too, including their personal methods for tracking/paying on time!)

Carry on...

P.S.  While I realize that there are online portfolio management tools, Excel spreadsheets, etc. available to do in-depth tracking, each of those methods has an inherent dependancy on something else, whether it be a working computer, an internet connection, a proficiency in using a specific application, or a specific site being up and available for your use when you need it.  I prefer to keep it simple...one piece of paper and a dirty fingernail is all I need. 

Peace of mind is the name of the game, so use whatever you feel comfortable with, the key word here being "use".

(Edit to add the P.S.)

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 08-08-2009 07:33 AM
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.