Did you mean: 

Spring Cleaning

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Spring Cleaning

@wasCB14 wrote:

The good:

Amex: I use Platinum perks and can contact their customer service with issues on any card. I like SPG earning power. BCE and ED occasionally have good offers. Lots of activity alerts.

Chase: Love my IHG and Freedom is occasionally useful. Hyatt and CSP I don't really use that much anymore since I've been mostly booking award travel lately. Oddly, my calls get redirected to the Executive group (I have no assets at Chase anymore) so I'm not sure I need to pay for CSP customer service when they just send me to a higher tier. Maybe they've corrected their records in the months since I last had to call, though. I've been having a little trouble working a convenient mid-category Hyatt for my renewal night into my travel. So I'll possibly drop one of Hyatt or CSP, but keep the other for travel when Amex isn't accepted. Maybe I'd PC CSP to FU.

Citi: I'll probably keep Costco and PC Prestige to DC. I use Price Rewind heavily and having a second card to avoid hitting the annual maximum might be good. A 2% card would also be useful if/when Starpoints are nerfed. The general customer service is lousy, but mostly I'd just expect to contact their benefits team.

Discover: 5% cash and Discover Deals are occasionally good. They have great customer service with no AF, and lots of activity alerts. Not in any rush to close.

The more questionable:

Citi Retail Brooks Brothers: I doubt Price Rewind would help when AFAIK they don't sell through other channels and are sometimes flexible about the dates of sales. Still, some sort of purchase protection from a premium card would be good, and cardholder-exclusive sales really aren't that frequent. Like Discover, it offers excellent spending alerts. It's the store-only card (not the MC) and I'm not sure how easy it would be for a fraudster to buy and liquidate shirts and pants. I expect major network cards are a bigger target for fraud.

Barclaycard no-AF Arrival: I only ever got it because I didn't understand the complexities of CVM. Limited alert options, too. I'll close it once I have a proper PIN card in place. Customer service is very hit-or-miss.

So the candidates for the chopping block are:

CSP or Hyatt - possibly close or PC one

Prestige - definitely PC

Citi Retail Brooks Bothers - SD for now, likely to close eventually

Arrival - will close eventually

So I expect to keep maybe 10 of 13 cards, but most of my spending is with four issuers.

Sure, I could strip my lineup down to: Platinum, IHG, Costco, and Discover...but I'd still be logging into Amex, Chase, Citi and Discover websites to check my balance due. So why not keep other cards that are just a click or scroll away?

I very much welcome the thoughts of others on my lineup.

Some second thoughts...

I've got my no-AF Arrival and Brooks Bros set up to email me if there is any activity at all on them...and I don't have much use for either...but I'm finding it hard to actually "pull the trigger" and close them.

I intend to do much more bonus chasing in the future, and it might not be a bad idea to keep a few more cards reporting as open. Not so much for scoring purposes, but more to look like slightly less of a bonus chaser/churner. I'm going to be closing a lot of AF accounts after 12 or 24 months, so keeping older no-AF cards might not be bad.

When I closed my Sallie just before the switch to Commence as a "see how I'll feel" experiment, I did sort of wonder, "Well, what was the point of that?" I'm likely to chase a bonus on the Aviator eventually, so might as well keep the Arrival and Barclaycard login.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 31 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a few I want to get rid of:

Amex PRG and ED will be going bye bye. I just moved my CL from my ED to my BCE.

PenFed Promise- moved my credit line to the Platinum Rewards

I closed all my store cards minus Amazon (not sure why I keep it when I have the Visa as well) and my Old Navy one. 

I just want simplicity in my life!!

Message 32 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's the goal here! Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I closed all my store cards minus Amazon (not sure why I keep it when I have the Visa as well) and my Old Navy one. 

Make sure you use up the MR points... Use 'em or lose 'em!!

Message 34 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Make sure you use up the MR points... Use 'em or lose 'em!!

Already did! I was shocked at the amount of gift cards I was able to get!

Message 35 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did it! Closed BofA 321 card! I feel better already!
Message 36 of 55
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I did it! Closed BofA 321 card! I feel better already!

Good for you! It does feel good to simplify life.  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 37 of 55
Mrm-na
New Contributor

With some reservation, a few days ago I finally closed my first credit card.  It was a Capital One QS1 that started as a basic Platinum account back in 2008.

For a first card the APR was decent (Prime + 14.7).  To get this rate on a starter card, and the fact that I got approved for it in the first place, was probably the fortunate result of me applying just a few months before the housing bubble blew up at the end of 2008.  I had gone for years not caring about credit cards, but thankfully I came around and got started with them just in the nick of time.

It was a bit rough at first - I never missed payments but I overutilized the card sometimes and tended to roll over with interest.  In those days I didn't know or care much about credit and utilization was not something I worried about.

In spite of the nervous times those were for the banks, no matter how high my utilization was at times, CapOne never panicked on me.  I paid the bills and they left me alone.  I appreciate the fact that they got me started on credit without having to deal with a bottom feeder like Credit One or the like.

A few years ago CapOne finally raised the limit on this account to $1500, then changed it to a QS1, but it still had the $45 annual fee.  With the 1.5% QS1 rewards I started using this card for most purchases.  It was still the lowest limit of any of my cards.

I've noticed that other people in these forums talk about CapOne sending out 0APR BT offers, but they've never sent me a single one.  My scores have been over 750 for 2-3 years and around the 800 level for the past year or so.  These offers are very useful to me (I can make a profit on them) so I'd like to be getting them.

I believe my account is stuck with some permanently crippled status due to who I was or what contract I was given when I applied for it in 2008.  I also don't want to pay the $45 annual fee anymore.  Therefore I decided it was time to close it.

I had no problems with CapOne (other than outgrowing the account) so I will likely reapply someday.  If I do, I should be able to get a full fledged Quicksilver with a signup bonus and promotional 0APR, and hopefully get binned as a more valued customer than what I was with my old account.  So I think it's the right move.

I feel funny about it - at 9 years it was double the age of any other account that I have, but I've been convinced that it shouldn't hurt me much.  I've had this account for so long and used it so frequently that I've memorized the account number.  When I was shopping recently, I had to think for a bit about what card to use in it's place.  I don't know if you can get emotionally attached to a credit card, but it's almost like that in this case.

I don't have a proper replacement for the 1.5%, but I did add the BoA BBR recently.  I don't spend a lot, so the fixed $25/quarter rewards appealed to me more than worrying about the difference from 1.0% (available from other cards) versus the 1.5% that I lost.

So with 1 card added and 1 removed, I'm still at 4 credit cards.  That's as many cards as I care to keep up with, but I may still end up with a 5th before the year is up.  I'd like to do some car work this summer but cash is limited, so a signup bonus+0APR promo might be helpful in a few months.  I have some options on how to handle that and haven't decided what direction to go with it.

I'm not really cutting as much fat as I could. I cut the CapOne, but I stil have a useless Merrick card. Since it has no AF and it's now my oldest active card, I'd rather leave it alone.

Message 38 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ Thanks for sharing! My BOFA card was my oldest one but there were too many things about it that just made me want to get rid of it. Here's the way I look at it.. It'll continue to report for 10 years and by then my other cards will have tons of history as well!
Message 39 of 55
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

I had closed one card.  Then HVAC went out and I had to replace it.  The contractor offered me a 0% for 12 months deal, which I took.  I did not understand that it would be funded by a contractor Wells Fargo credit card - I was just worried about a HP.  I do not like WF at all.  Am trying to decide if I should transfer the amount to a 0% balance transfer card.  Too many decisions.  The point being reducing by one credit card did nothing for me, since the HVAC purchased provided another one.  So at square zero.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 40 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.