Did you mean: 

SpringLeaf Financial

tag
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

Re: SpringLeaf Financial

@sailor_mercury wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

The university suggested the bank with a cosign from my family otherwise they did not know. The reason I ask about springleaf is because it seems to be our only option at this point when no one else will consider us.

Did you talk with a Financial Aid officer at the University?  I can't speak for all schools but I once received a "hardship" loan from the University Foundation.  It was $2,500 to cover some costs that would not be covered by my Federal Loans.  The interest rate was 9 or 10%.  I had my choice of paying the accrued interest while in school or adding it to the principle and repayment started 6 months after graduation.  The only requirement was I had to have my FASFA current and I could not be in default with any student loan.  I also had to prove my need for the loan, so I don't know that you can prove a cushion but you can certainly prove your relocation expenses.

Yeah, unfortunately they said they were unable to offer it with no real explanation. Believe me I have exhausted all other options, before even trying private loans and credit cards.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 71 of 133
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

And the Chevron card was denied Smiley Sad I am really trying anything so we can move, but it looks like I am exhausting our options. Smiley Sad

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 72 of 133
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Credit One is extremely lenient. 

Message 73 of 133
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

Credit One is extremely lenient. 

I didn't get any prequal offers from them. Should I even try?

Message 74 of 133
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Credit One is as lenient as they get. If you can't get approved with them i would say you have something more going on your credit report than just a thin file.

Message 75 of 133
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

I can try, I legitimately don't have anything else going on other than on time student loan payments.

Message 76 of 133
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

Oh and the prequal denial from creditone said due to an insufficient credit history, so I really seriously think that is what is screwing me.

Message 77 of 133
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

Do you have any way into Navy Federal Credit Union?  If you have a family member that is a member they can sign you up with your own membership (it won't link or affect their membership at all).

NFCU approved my brother who is 39yo and had a totally empty credit file for an unsecured card this week.  I would think student loans would be better than a totally empty file.

I tried to help him setup credit monitoring at both myfico and Idenity Guard (through Costco) and we couldn't set either account up because he didn't have a credit file.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 78 of 133
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

So confused:
1. Who is your secured card with? Limit and balance?
2. What is your income you are putting on apps?
Message 79 of 133
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@sailor_mercury wrote:

Do you have any way into Navy Federal Credit Union?  If you have a family member that is a member they can sign you up with your own membership (it won't link or affect their membership at all).

NFCU approved my brother who is 39yo and had a totally empty credit file for an unsecured card this week.  I would think student loans would be better than a totally empty file.

I tried to help him setup credit monitoring at both myfico and Idenity Guard (through Costco) and we couldn't set either account up because he didn't have a credit file.

Unfortunately I don't. Like I said we are estranged from my family.

Message 80 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.