Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Credit Lines

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting Credit Lines

Hello all!  

I have been repairing my credit for a few years now.  I've gone from high 500s/ low 600s to current low to mid 700s (all except EQ which is taking a lot of effort to raise - now around 698).  I started with a Cap One secured card for $500 but I no longer use it, and I have three unsecured cards: Cap One Quicksilver, $5,500, Amex Blue Cash, $5,500, and Discover It,  $5,500.  I am considering closing the secured card and applying for a new card but I want to receive a higher starting line (perhaps $10k and up)  I am hoping for a little advise.  

Thanks in advance!!

(this might belong in another section, if so my apologies)!

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting Credit Lines

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!  

I have been repairing my credit for a few years now.  I've gone from high 500s/ low 600s to current low to mid 700s (all except EQ which is taking a lot of effort to raise - now around 698).  I started with a Cap One secured card for $500 but I no longer use it, and I have three unsecured cards: Cap One Quicksilver, $5,500, Amex Blue Cash, $5,500, and Discover It,  $5,500.  I am considering closing the secured card and applying for a new card but I want to receive a higher starting line (perhaps $10k and up)  I am hoping for a little advise.  

Thanks in advance!!

Congrats on your rebuilding success.  A lot of things factor into getting five digit approvals-scores, income, credit card company, etc...What is your current AAoA?  I would focus on building up the lines that I currently have first.  If you can get those over $10k, then it could assist in future approvals over that amount.   There is something in your current profile that isn't facilitaing the larger approvals. 

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was just approved for a Cap1 Venture with a $15K SL. Previous high CL was $4K Cap1 QS. 

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!  

Thanks in advance!!

close the cap1 secured card. check prequalified offers at all banks.  You need to hit up chase first, I would do CSP, CIP, maybe Freedom or CSR.  Then after you're over 5/24, get in with BOA, get a merrill+.

Message 4 of 34
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!  

Thanks in advance!!

1. OK to close the Capital One secured card.

2. In order to make a suggestion as to your fourth card, I would need to know what you're looking for. You presently have 3 cash back cards, so it might be a good idea to diversify and go for a different kind of card. If you tell us what you would be looking for in a card, we could steer you in the right direction. E.g. travel rewards, low interest, low fees, promotional balance transfer offer, affiliation with a particular site or company, hotel, airline, large starting limit, etc.

If you want a travel rewards card you should probably go for Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve. If you want a cash back card you should probably go for Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. I say this because, as jfriend points out, once you've had 5 new cards in a 24 month period it becomes harder to get a Chase branded card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have old student loans (3) that are rehabilitated but previously reported 120 late. These loans have been in good standing now for 4 years. I also have tax liens (2) that have been paid in full but wont be removed for another 2 years for one, 3 years for the other. Everything else is good.

I rarely book travel so travel rewards isnt something of interest.

I have a 220 balance for QS but paid down from 1900. (Just paid $400 and will pay the rest next week.) all other cards are now zero balance but havent updated yet.
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im thinking if I apply for Chase, they might start me at same CL as my other accounts (or lower) Im not sure how my other cards factor into their decision. Perhaps I should wait? Or, I read I could try applying for another cap one card (venture) and after 6 months transfer the available credit to my QS?

Thanks for all your responses and time!
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have old student loans (3) that are rehabilitated but previously reported 120 late. These loans have been in good standing now for 4 years. I also have tax liens (2) that have been paid in full but wont be removed for another 2 years for one, 3 years for the other. Everything else is good.

I have a 220 balance for QS but paid down from 1900. (Just paid $400 and will pay the rest next week.) all other cards are now zero balance but havent updated yet.

Thanks for responding.  I think that you will eventually get there.  Maybe if you close out the secured card, then if the pre-approval from Cap 1 is there, apply for another card and if the limit is not there, but close enough to combine and make $10k, then it would at lease give you a starting point to where other lenders would see that you are able to manage limits that high.  Yes the CSR offers a higher limit, but I don't know that with the current baddies, you would be approved, but you can at least start laying the ground work for approvals like that in the future. 

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Who says you have to use chase URs for travel?  THe Chase Ink Preferred would give you $800 free.  CSP $500 cash free.......

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

I checked to see if I prequal for Cap One Venture and it says I do. I am not eligable for a CL increase on my QS until next month (already tried) so perhaps the Venture would work and in 6 months I could combine.

Thanks for great responses from everyone!
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.