Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting - I LUV AMEX CLUB.

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Starting - I LUV AMEX CLUB.

After the recent changes and meding fences with Amex, I have decided to start "I LUV AMEX CLUB".

I was left with my company debt in 1995 with Amex, I paid off all the debt in full to Amex. They issued Optima Oasis Card and Amex Platinum Charge ( which later I converted to Gold ). Now after a year they converted my Optima Oasis card to  Clear Card. Now approved the PLUM Card for my Business. I guess, I have proved my credibility with Amex and earned their respect.

I have been paying off balances on my Optima / Gold cards once every week some times as soon as I see balance online on my account, I have been paying off right away. I learned on this forum the best credit practises, keep the debt low, increase savings, invest in retirement funds. What a turn around in my personal life. My scores are still high 600's though. Hopefully I'll make it to 700 clubs soon.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Starting - I LUV AMEX CLUB.

I called up Amex to warn them I would be using the card in Begium and Britain.  He insisted on giving me a whole bunch of emergency numbers to call if I had a problem  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 20
lil_bo_peep
Valued Member

I'll bite the bullet with you, AMEX was the first card that I was approved for that wasn't sub-prime.  They gave me a chance when BoA and Citi and Chase would not!  I have the Clear from AMEX my line of credit is only 2500 but it was my first trade line over 1,000.  I have been trying to establish my credit since 2004 and I feel that if it wasn't for AMEX I would still be stuck with Orchard, Cap1 and Merrick.

lil_bo

Just a little reminder.....sometimes these boards get a little confusing but we are all here to help each other not make things more difficult, you can only Do what's right for YOU, not what everyone else thinks is right for you! Love you guys!!! Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 20
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:
I called up Amex to warn them I would be using the card in Begium and Britain.  He insisted on giving me a whole bunch of emergency numbers to call if I had a problem  Smiley Happy

That is what I like about Amex. Last month when my DW and Kids travelling to England /India, I called Amex and let them know. CSR went out of the way to help and said to have my family call the international number on the back of the card in case of emergency / loose the passport / cash advance or any kind of assistance to call them. That is what I love about Amex especially for international travel no one else can match their service. Keep in mind, Amex charges a currecy conversion charge for each overseas transaction. CapitalOne is the only card I am aware of which does not charge this fees. Citi charges almost 3% for each transaction. I think Amex is about 1.5%. Not sure check the numbers. Good Luck with your trip to Europe.
Message 4 of 20
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@lil_bo_peep wrote:

I'll bite the bullet with you, AMEX was the first card that I was approved for that wasn't sub-prime.  They gave me a chance when BoA and Citi and Chase would not! 

I feel the same way. That's why I still use my Amex charge card as my primary card. That, and they are more than happy to give me my money back with few questions asked when I am dissatisfied. 

Here we go again...
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

so far i have been happy with amex. i have been a member for over 12 years. I only have a charge card with them. I have been using it  for all my expenses and pay in full every month. I have not had any problems.
Message 6 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They were great when I had fraudulent activity on my charge card. They took the initiative and led me through several 3-way phone calls with PayPal and E-Bay, making sure that everything got untangled. And when we finally decided that it wasn't going to get any better, they overnighted my new card.

Fingers crossed that the kindness will continue with my Blue. There's the great AmEx, and then, ummm....
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 20
cabarkeep
New Contributor

I agree AMEX did give me one of my first 5 digit Credit Limits ... however they were also the first to chase a balance also ... so my Luv is a little mixed ... kind of like getting back with a wife that cheated on you lol ....

Hopefully they will learn a little more subtle way of doing a credit limit decrease ... other than that for the most part their customer service has been great except when going over the issue of CLD's lol then its like a stick hit em and they forget what to say ...

Sorry for the rant .... great customer service .... so far my card has not been declined at any store ..but i definitely would not use my AMEX for any large purchases right now ... my confidence has taken a slight hit after the CLD .....

I hope to join your club as a FULLY DEVOTED member but at this time I guess I am in the "I kinda Luv AMEX Club"  lol

Message 8 of 20
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Amex was and still is the ultimate purveyor of credit cards. I have five accounts , the first beginning in 1982. I have had many situations over the years that needed to be untangled and I have always called them and placed it in their laps. They have never let me down in handling my credit needs and they provide a fantastic vacation each year thanks to my rewards points.

I can't want more than I have with them.

CI

Message 9 of 20
notmyname
Regular Contributor

I have had thirty years of great service and it seems no matter what I read from day to day they are still there for me. I have the largest limits , the lowest aprs, and the quickest and nicest cs in any of my  favorite accents.

It's not broken so I am not going to try to fix it.

NMN

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.