cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Out In The World of Credit / Wondering If I'll Be Approved By My Bank For CC

tag
mrjohnsonsgoals2
Contributor

Re: Starting Out In The World of Credit / Wondering If I'll Be Approved By My Bank For CC

Alright, I'll get on it soon! Will report back about what happened. 

Starting Score (March 2014) : EX: 618 EQ: 689 TU: 638
New Scores (October 2014) EX: 685 EQ: 725 TU: 712
NOW In the Garden Until: 04/08/2015

Message 21 of 24
mrjohnsonsgoals2
Contributor

Re: Starting Out In The World of Credit / Wondering If I'll Be Approved By My Bank For CC

HEY! I just got approved for a Chase Freedom card! Thanks to the two posters and everyone above. My opening credit line is only a $1,000, but I look forward to building credit that way...it seems I'll be calling First Hawaiian Bank on Wednesday with a little less worries on my head Smiley Happy

Although, a part of me regrets not trying Chase first and avoiding the hit that two pulls will do to you but everyone usually says try your bank first since you might have a better shot. Now I need to learn things like what to buy (is it really just anything?) and living within my means to pay things off. If there's any other tips that you guys have to offer a first time credit card owner, I'd love to hear them. 

Starting Score (March 2014) : EX: 618 EQ: 689 TU: 638
New Scores (October 2014) EX: 685 EQ: 725 TU: 712
NOW In the Garden Until: 04/08/2015

Message 22 of 24
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Congrats! That's a great limit for your first card! I started with $300 from Cap1 a little over 2 years ago. Remember to sign up for the 5X points every quarter. It's gas stations, movie theaters, and Starbucks until April 1! If you travel a lot and plan on eventually getting a CSP you could hoard your UR points to double their value. Personally I use my cards for everything. If credit cards are accepted I use them. That being said, I never spend more then what I can afford if I were to use cash. Go by that rule and you won't end up in debt. I would wait at least six months to a year before applying for anything else. Other then that stick around here. Keep reading. Come join us in the Garden Club. Time is the answer when it comes to credit.

Message 23 of 24
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Congrats! and +1 to above. Use your credit card for anything you had previously been using cash or debit. Don't spend more than you can pay off at the end of the month. Once people start regularly carrying large balances is often the time they get into trouble. You negate the value of your rewards points if you are paying interest.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.