Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting a thread on different banks' online payment deadlines and quirks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting a thread on different banks' online payment deadlines and quirks

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Wow, that's a new one, for sure. They'll take payment immediately, but not in the future??

What I would really like them let me do is enable autopay (like with WF or Amex), so I could forget about paying if didn't feel like gaming the score. No dice, as it seems.

I would classify the Discover More card as"medium maintenance". You have to keep visiting their website, not only for paying, but also for stuff like having to subscribe four times a year to get the rewards.

Message 21 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

FIA Card Services lets you pay online, but it pushes the payment date to three days forward. There is no way to pay on that particular day w/o clicking the box for a $12.00 fee for "rush"  payment. So you always need to pay three days ahead of time.  
Message Edited by netpanther on 01-04-2009 11:11 PM
Message 22 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
WaMu makes you pay $15 to schedule a same-day payment, yet you can edit or delete it up until 11:59 pm the day it's scheduled.

Sorry for the misinformation: you can cancel the payment up till 11:59 pm the day BEFORE.
Message 23 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If I recall correctly, if a payment for Chase is scheduled for Sunday, it will be dated as Sunday, but will not post until Monday. I had a Chase account close with a HUGE balance after failing to realize this.

Again, sorry for misinformation (that's what happens when I post at 3 am).  According the Chase, "Payments made before 4:00 PM ET on Saturday will appear on your account on Sunday, and will show the payment was received on Saturday."  However, if your statement closing date is Saturday, the payment will post on the next statement, causing a larger balance to be reported.
Message 24 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaysdad2k wrote:

Discover:

It's Sunday the 4th. I have a cutoff date of the 9th, this Friday.

I go online to schedule a payment. So, how about the 6th, so it will hit (and PIF) before Friday? No go. All the future dates are grayed out. The only payment date available is today. So I had to pay today to make sure I PIF before Friday.

I wonder if I waited till tomorrow, Monday, it would have given me more days before Friday. But I didn't want to take a chance.

I call this a quirk for sure.

By cutoff date, do you mean due date, or statement closing date?  I never had future dates grayed out, and if you schedule the payment for a specific day, that's the day the payment posts.  You shouldn't need to say "I'll pay Wednesday so they have it by Friday."  If you pay Wednesday, it should post Wednesday, assuming you do it before the cutoff time (I have a zero balance so the website won't show me what the cutoff time is).  If you do it after the cutoff time, it should post the next day.
Message 25 of 43
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

My Discover payment from earlier today has posted and I am back to my full available CL.

I got the card in October and even after I called them, they could not confirm the statement closing date. So, I made a few purchases, made a few payments, and it closed on November 9th with a balance of $64. OK, so now we know the closing date. I think the payment due date is the 4th.

In November I made several modest purchases and 6 payments including the $64. After the 4th payment they must have freaked, because they stopped reporting the available balance for about a week after the payment posted. In December I made 3 payments and they all posted right away, and the credit available went right back up. I guess they trust me now that the payments will clear.

As for the scheduled dates, the webpage usually shows available payment dates underlined like hyperlinks. But today, nothing was hyperlinked. That was weird. It told me that “I was trying to make a payment before the due date.” Duh, yeah! But it asked if I wanted to continue with the current posting date which was today. So I clicked yes, and it took that just fine.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 26 of 43
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jaysdad2k wrote:

As for the scheduled dates, the webpage usually shows available payment dates underlined like hyperlinks. But today, nothing was hyperlinked. That was weird. It told me that “I was trying to make a payment before the due date.” Duh, yeah! But it asked if I wanted to continue with the current posting date which was today. So I clicked yes, and it took that just fine.

With a statement date on the ninth, that means the due date is the fourth of the following month. (Due dates follow statement dates, although if there's a long enough gap, it makes it look like they precede them.)

It sounds like they were saying that you had already paid all the balance from the previous Dec 9 statement, so there was nothing left due to pay by the due date. Maybe. Smiley Tongue

Thanks for the update!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 27 of 43
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

I'll add that for Capital One if you have made one payment during a cycle you cannot schedule another payment. I normally schedule my payments in advance on the Friday before the due date so once that payment posts I can't schedule the following month until after the statement closes, but I can make a same day payment if I want.

BofA seems to have a short statement to due date window. It seems like payment is due about a week after I get their paper statement. 

Message 28 of 43
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@upinflagstaff wrote:

I'll add that for Capital One if you have made one payment during a cycle you cannot schedule another payment. I normally schedule my payments in advance on the Friday before the due date so once that payment posts I can't schedule the following month until after the statement closes, but I can make a same day payment if I want.

Good to know. As far as mailing in payments, one time during the same billing cycle I had a second payment that I wanted to mail in. That second one was received and processed without any problem. As far as your scenario, maybe using bill payment for that second payment would circumvent that limitation ?
Message 29 of 43
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

As far as I know, there is no limitation to the "pay now" part in Capital One. But once a payment is made during the current cycle any other one seems to need to be "pay now".
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.