Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out with Chase?

tag
dhon55
Contributor

Starting out with Chase?

I took a break from gardening and applied for a Discover IT (Student Version) card earlier this month, and got it with a $1,000 CL.  I've now racked up 5 inquiries on TU, and as far as I know, 2-3 on EQ, and 3 on EX.

My oldest credit card is only 3 mos old -- since October 2012, but CreditKarma lists by AAOA at 1 yr, 4 mos and oldest at 3 yr, 3 mos from student loans.  So, my file is thin.  No baddies, though.  TU score is 711.

From what I've read, Chase is sensitive to inquiries and recent accounts, being that all 5 of credit accounts and inquiries are all very new, I think I should hold off on applying, but am thinking about doing so seeing that I already have a January 2013 inq from Discover as it is.

To my surprise, I recently received a $100 mail-in offer for Chase Freedom--something I thought I'd never see (at least not for a while).  And I'm wondering if it'd be smart to apply for either a Chase Freedom or Chase Amazon card?  I assume Amazon is easier, or should I forget about it altogether?

Thoughts?

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: Starting out with Chase?

@dhon55 wrote:

I took a break from gardening and applied for a Discover IT (Student Version) card earlier this month, and got it with a $1,000 CL.  I've now racked up 5 inquiries on TU, and as far as I know, 2-3 on EQ, and 3 on EX.

My oldest credit card is only 3 mos old -- since October 2012, but CreditKarma lists by AAOA at 1 yr, 4 mos and oldest at 3 yr, 3 mos from student loans.  So, my file is thin.  No baddies, though.  TU score is 711.

From what I've read, Chase is sensitive to inquiries and recent accounts, being that all 5 of credit accounts and inquiries are all very new, I think I should hold off on applying, but am thinking about doing so seeing that I already have a January 2013 inq from Discover as it is.

To my surprise, I recently received a $100 mail-in offer for Chase Freedom--something I thought I'd never see (at least not for a while).  And I'm wondering if it'd be smart to apply for either a Chase Freedom or Chase Amazon card?  I assume Amazon is easier, or should I forget about it altogether?

Thoughts?

Honestly, I would wait. Chase usually likes to see about 1 year of credit card history. Some members on the boards have gotten approved with the mix of student loans but most have a card history of 8-10 months to go along with the loan history. If you had a relationship with Chase (checking/savings/etc) you might be able to get in with a $500 limit but even then sometimes they don't hold that much leverage with accounts with them as they are different divisions. Also any future CLI requres will almost always be a Hard Pull. As for the offer they sent out...many people get them as that is the promotion they have been running now so I wouldn't look into it too much. If you insist on it you can try their Chase Pre-qualifier: https://ccsic.fni-stl.com/redes/index.php/chase_app/psonChase.pl?jp_ltg=leftnav and if they come back with an offer and you want to try it you should be ok with 3 inqs on EX and 2-3 on EQ so 1 more won't make all that much of a difference if you get declined as you should garden for at least 6 months-1 year anyways. Keep us posted!

Message 2 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Freedom is the easiest card these days to obtain from Chase.

Since you have a number of inquiries already and you're in your initial building / tradeline establishment spree, I'd find that offer (can even check on Chase's website) and if it's legit, take it now.  You're a student and likely going to be in that situation for a while, and traditional non-student underwriting Chase typically looks for a year's worth of revolving history on any of their cards; however, students mileage may vary even more than the rest of us when it comes to Chase in particular since they don't have a student card, and the Freedom is positioned to directly compete with Discover currently.

If you get denied, just wait the year you'd likely have to anyway and let all your recent inquiries age off.  In either case I'd sit and hold for 12 months in your situation after the Chase app anyway and then re-evaluate what you need in 1/14.  Another inquiry right now isn't going to hurt you at all even right now and it's near irrelevant in a year... compare that vs. establishing the Freedom tradeline now, it's worth the risk in my estimation.

        
Message 3 of 21
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Since you have a number of inquiries already and you're in your initial building / tradeline establishment spree, I'd find that offer (can even check on Chase's website) and if it's legit, take it now.  You're a student and likely going to be in that situation for a while, and traditional non-student underwriting Chase typically looks for a year's worth of revolving history on any of their cards; however, students mileage may vary even more than the rest of us when it comes to Chase in particular since they don't have a student card, and the Freedom is positioned to directly compete with Discover currently.

If you get denied, just wait the year you'd likely have to anyway and let all your recent inquiries age off.  In either case I'd sit and hold for 12 months in your situation after the Chase app anyway and then re-evaluate what you need in 1/14.  Another inquiry right now isn't going to hurt you at all even right now and it's near irrelevant in a year... compare that vs. establishing the Freedom tradeline now, it's worth the risk in my estimation.

+1

I also think it is worth it to app now. As long as you feel you can manage the new accounts. Don't get over your head.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 21
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Easier than Slate?

Message 5 of 21
dhon55
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, all.  I don't consider myself a risk taker, but have gotten a bit more "risky" in recent apping. Smiley Very Happy  I think I'll sleep on it and may apply tomorrow.

Also, the mailer I received from them, I don't think it's a pre-qualified offer or anything, though they must've screened me somehow, but it does have an invitation code to apply, but I don't think it's anything legit--particularly with my recently added accounts and inquiries.  Edit:  Creditworld, I checked out the pre-qualifier link, but got the message: 

"We are unable to locate any special credit card offers for you at this time. "

Sidenote:

Freedom is easier than the Amazon Chase card?  I would've thought the opposite, though I have no real knowledge of Chase.  I do shop on Amazon a lot, but it seems that Fredom has better overall rewards...  I just hate the minimum amounts for redemption. Smiley Mad

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 6 of 21
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Easier than Slate?

I would think the criteria goes 

1) Chase Slate (common for small initial limits) 

2) Chase Amazon or Freedom 

3) Chase Freedom or Amazon 

I think the Freedom card is probably harder than the Amazon card but some get denied/approved on both so I think it just depends on each case. 

Message 7 of 21
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@dhon55 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, all.  I don't consider myself a risk taker, but have gotten a bit more "risky" in recent apping. Smiley Very Happy  I think I'll sleep on it and may apply tomorrow.

Also, the mailer I received from them, I don't think it's a pre-qualified offer or anything, though they must've screened me somehow, but it does have an invitation code to apply, but I don't think it's anything legit--particularly with my recently added accounts and inquiries.  Edit:  Creditworld, I checked out the pre-qualifier link, but got the message: 

"We are unable to locate any special credit card offers for you at this time. "

Sidenote:

Freedom is easier than the Amazon Chase card?  I would've thought the opposite, though I have no real knowledge of Chase.  I do shop on Amazon a lot, but it seems that Fredom has better overall rewards...  I just hate the minimum amounts for redemption. Smiley Mad

Oh no! Now you have all of us curious and making us wait till tomorrow Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 21
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

The Freedom is the easiest (a rep told me my chances of approval were about the same for both the freedom and the slate), BUT is by far harder to obtain than other cards by other companies in similar class. They looked at the 3 years I had of history on my oldest card, and that was their determinator for approval...not my 13 year old open/pays as agreed student loans or the 3 auto loans closed as paid as agreed. YMMV
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 9 of 21
dhon55
Contributor

I would be very tempted to apply and let you all know my results(!)... but I also just realized that in addition to my limited history and recent inquiries/accounts, my Wells Fargo card is also at about 56% util.

It was paid off, but of course the statement had just ended the day after my big purchase.  So it appears to the creditors that I haven't paid it off, right?  (Since the balance reported, even though I paid it off before the due date)... so I'll probably have to wait until the February statement comes with a $0 balance.  Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.