Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out with Chase?

tag
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: Starting out with Chase?

@dhon55 wrote:

I would be very tempted to apply and let you all know my results(!)... but I also just realized that in addition to my limited history and recent inquiries/accounts, my Wells Fargo card is also at about 56% util.

It was paid off, but of course the statement had just ended the day after my big purchase.  So it appears to the creditors that I haven't paid it off, right?  (Since the balance reported, even though I paid it off before the due date)... so I'll probably have to wait until the February statement comes with a $0 balance.  Smiley Sad

I would wait for that $0 balance to report as that would probably send up a red flag. So in the mean time we must sit and wait...

Message 11 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditWorld2013 wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Freedom is the easiest card these days to obtain from Chase.

Easier than Slate?

I would think the criteria goes 

1) Chase Slate (common for small initial limits) 

2) Chase Amazon or Freedom 

3) Chase Freedom or Amazon 

I think the Freedom card is probably harder than the Amazon card but some get denied/approved on both so I think it just depends on each case. 

I think that's outdated, pre-June 2012 if you look at the approval threads from that timeframe forward at least for minimum FICO.

1) Freedom  640

2) Amazon/Slate 660ish

3) CSP 680+

About all the cards have the standard Chase minimum underwriting requirement of 1 year revolving history (with some exceptions, long-term account holders and possibly students), my own recon with Chase with the Freedom was straight-forward and easy, all I really did was point out the last year of payment history and that I had a checking account with them, and the rep came back something like 30 seconds later and told me I'd been approved.  Unless there was a hard wall hit for student underwriting, I'm pretty certain I could sell the short-history with Chase's current recon policy which I don't know if we've ever seen before or will see again honestly.

Anyone who's read this forum a non-trivial amount knows my own credit report is anything but pretty Smiley Happy.  Much as Open123 pontificated almost a year ago, even though the signup bonuses aren't the same, it's still a good time to be seeking credit.

        
Message 12 of 21
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

The Determinator™, every credit card company's worst nightmare. 

Anyway, OP - try to get that Util down to 1-9% for the next statement cut. I don't think $0 is necessary, just close to it.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 13 of 21
dodgeball
Established Contributor

The slate is harder to get the whole Idea behind the card is for chase to take on debt thus more risk

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 14 of 21
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

The slate is harder to get the whole Idea behind the card is for chase to take on debt thus more risk

One can see it as that. BUT they also give many lower inital limits so in a sense they give out to more customers as the financial risk isn't as damaging in terms of a financial loss and if they turn out to be good customers...it is a double positive. So it is a double sword to only assume the balance transfers result in the criteria. If we look at Citi they always offer long term balance transfers and approve those cards quite often as well. Each bank has a specific target in mind and no one will ever be 100% as to which one is easier or harder. 

Message 15 of 21
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Haha! "The Determinator!..." Can't quote because I am on my phone.

Definitely pay down the balance. Chase was barking also at the 28% UTIL that I had. I told them I pay in full every month and that is the new balance. CSR said, well we don't know that, so at this time, we can only give you $1,000. :-|
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 16 of 21
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
Haha! "The Determinator!..." Can't quote because I am on my phone.

Definitely pay down the balance. Chase was barking also at the 28% UTIL that I had. I told them I pay in full every month and that is the new balance. CSR said, well we don't know that, so at this time, we can only give you $1,000. :-|

Yup, Chase likes to bark at UTIL.. When I got the Freedom, I told them I want to take advantage of 0% transfer, and they gave me CLI. Smiley Very Happy

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 17 of 21
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@dhon55 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, all.  I don't consider myself a risk taker, but have gotten a bit more "risky" in recent apping. Smiley Very Happy  I think I'll sleep on it and may apply tomorrow.

Also, the mailer I received from them, I don't think it's a pre-qualified offer or anything, though they must've screened me somehow, but it does have an invitation code to apply, but I don't think it's anything legit--particularly with my recently added accounts and inquiries.  Edit:  Creditworld, I checked out the pre-qualifier link, but got the message: 

"We are unable to locate any special credit card offers for you at this time. "

Sidenote:

Freedom is easier than the Amazon Chase card?  I would've thought the opposite, though I have no real knowledge of Chase.  I do shop on Amazon a lot, but it seems that Fredom has better overall rewards...  I just hate the minimum amounts for redemption. Smiley Mad

dhon55...it's good to know that now Chase will let you use your UR points for amazon purchases 1 to 1 with no miminim!! Freedom would be great to use for the 5x rotating categories and applied to your amazon purchases since you do shop a lot with them!

Message 18 of 21
dhon55
Contributor

I just wanted to update everyone... now that all my accounts have reported a $0 balance, I took the plunge and applied for the Chase Amazon Visa.  I decided I use Amazon far more than any other store really, so it outweighed the Freedom's perks for me, for now anyway.

But to my utter shock, I was instantly approved for $1.5k Smiley Very Happy!

Thanks for the info here!

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 19 of 21
firstladyd
Contributor

Oh yay!   Congrats!!! I was just researching your thread for my own 1st plunge with Chase Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.