Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out with cards

tag
Mark_MM
Established Member

Starting out with cards

Hello all,

My fico scores TU 635, EQ 690 (pulled 4/18/12). Credit history age – 1 year 6 months old. Just one TL (auto loan) always paid on time, never late. No baddies on EQ, on TU I have two medical collections. 0 inquiries.

Having only one account and no revolving/ credit cards is hurting my scores. I would like to add a few credit cards/ store cards to the mix. My goal is to get a decent mortgage in a year or two.

Any suggestions on what cards I should apply for? I guess amex is out of the question right now? I am thinking about Walmart card - like that they give you your TU fico score for free, Best buy – was going to make a few purchases 1k or less, so thought might be a good idea to get a card instead to help my fico. Kohls card. Not sure about credit cards, ideally would like something with no annual fee, but understandable since just starting out. Not going to be maxing out any cards that I get and keep UT low.

Also not sure how many to open up at once since I want to keep my inquires low and also don’t want to throw up any red flags.

Any advice would be great

Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Starting out with cards

I take it the baddies on tu are pretty old? What's on your ex report? I just applied with Walmart tu score of 683 and was denied cause of inquiries (6) and a collection which falls off next year of course ymmv. I know when i apped for a discover more and citi forward they pulled eq. Are you able to join navy federal credit union?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 9
Mark_MM
Established Member

Hi rootpooty,

The collections on TU is 3 - 1/2 years old. The two collections are showing up on my EX report as well. I don’t think I'm eligible for the navy credit union, although I have an uncle that was in the navy; although I don’t think they go that far with family.

Message 3 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

What does your income look like... if your income is pretty good, you may be eligible for zync... they seem to be income sensitive.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I suggest you open a secured card with a good size deposit.    After it is reported for a couple months, you can apply for the store cards you mentioned. 

IMO, this minimizes the risk of rejection and gives you what you need for your credit report.

Message 5 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

I suggest you open a secured card with a good size deposit.    After it is reported for a couple months, you can apply for the store cards you mentioned. 

IMO, this minimizes the risk of rejection and gives you what you need for your credit report.

+1,  Agree that a nice CL secured card would be a great thing in this situation

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 9
Mark_MM
Established Member

Thanks everyone,

I just got approved for a capital one classic platinum, 300cl. Is one credit card sufficient right now plus my auto loan, or should I add more cards to the mix? Not sure if I should just build on the one and wait until I can’t get into the prime territory.

Income 62k year. Denied for zync, they said my ex fico is 592 (don’t understand why so low, same file as tu, unless its not a fico and internal scoring instead).

Message 7 of 9
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Mark_MM wrote:

Thanks everyone,

I just got approved for a capital one classic platinum, 300cl. Is one credit card sufficient right now plus my auto loan, or should I add more cards to the mix? Not sure if I should just build on the one and wait until I can’t get into the prime territory.

Income 62k year. Denied for zync, they said my ex fico is 592 (don’t understand why so low, same file as tu, unless its not a fico and internal scoring instead).

That 592 could be their internal score.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 8 of 9
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Call the back door number 

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.