Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starwood Preferred Guest Approval

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Starwood Preferred Guest Approval

I applied for the Amex SPG card today and was instantly approved.  Don't know the limit yet.  I'll have the card in 2-3 days.

This was my last application until I get a new mortgage next year.  The card will be backdated to 1998 which should push me over the 9 year mark for AAoA.  Hoping that might give me a slight boost.  After we get our mortgage squared away, I'll probably look for something to replace my CapOne card as it carries an AF.  But for now, I can sit tight.

Nothing to do now but let my late payments age off of my reports (I've had no luck with GW).  Thanks again to everyone who has provided help along the way.   

Stats at time of app for SPG card if anyone is interested:

Score at app time: EQ 698 TU 698 (likely higher as it is usually higher than EQ by ~20 points but I hadn't pulled an updated score) EX ??

Other AMEX cards: Premier Rewards Gold 

Age of other AMEX accounts: PR Gold was opened in October 2010 but backdated to 1998

Limits of other AMEX accounts: PR Gold has no preset limit.  I typically run 5K/month through it.

Limit approved for: Don't know yet

HHI on app: 230K

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Re: Starwood Preferred Guest Approval

Congrats on working your way up the FICO score ladder!  One question for you though, how did you get the CCC to backdate your credit card opening date?  The one factor that I have going against me right now is a low AAoA and credit history, so if I could get a CCC to do this, it would help immensely. 

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Message 2 of 5
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

It's automatic, but only AMEX does it.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 3 of 5
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

american express always backdates any new account you open with them to the date you originally opened your first account with them and became a cardmember. This does not include AU's only the account holder

amazon
Message 4 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

Congrats on working your way up the FICO score ladder!  One question for you though, how did you get the CCC to backdate your credit card opening date?  The one factor that I have going against me right now is a low AAoA and credit history, so if I could get a CCC to do this, it would help immensely. 

As the others have said, it is an Amex policy.  Although there have been mixed reports on the boards whether the backdating will work for authorized user accounts, mine is backdated to my own account.  I opened an Amex card in 1998 while I was in college.  Closed it in 2004 in good standing.  When I opened my PR Gold last year, it initially wasn't backdated.  I made a phone call and they were able to find my account using the account number that was still listed on my EX report (note, this number is not the same as your number on your card but they can use it to find an old account).

While you may not be able to get your own Amex account that is backdated, if you are added as an AU to someone else's account, I am fairly certain it appears on your report with the date they opened their account.  That would help your AAoA.  So if you have family or a good friend that would consider adding you, that is something to try.  If they are worried about purchases, I believe they can set your limit online to $1.  They could also insist that you give them the physical card.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.