cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starwood Preferred: What Are My Chances?

tag
britthester
New Contributor

Starwood Preferred: What Are My Chances?

I'm itching to apply for the Amex Starwood Preferred card. I currently have Amex BCE ($12,800), Amex Hilton Hhonors ($2,000), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5000), Chase Freedom ($3500), Chase Southwest ($5000), Discover It ($1500), and Barclay Arrival ($4000). AAoA is around 1yr 1mo. Utilization is around 3%. I'm considering closing Southwest and Hilton and moving credit lines around. Credit scores as for recently EX 734, TU 704, EQ ?. Reason for lower scores has to do with recent inquires for Sapphire and Arrival. What do you all think? App now or wait and apply later? If wait, how long and why? Any responses are welcome. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Starwood Preferred: What Are My Chances?

@britthester wrote:

I'm itching to apply for the Amex Starwood Preferred card. I currently have Amex BCE ($12,800), Amex Hilton Hhonors ($2,000), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5000), Chase Freedom ($3500), Chase Southwest ($5000), Discover It ($1500), and Barclay Arrival ($4000). AAoA is around 1yr 1mo. Utilization is around 3%. I'm considering closing Southwest and Hilton and moving credit lines around. Credit scores as for recently EX 734, TU 704, EQ ?. Reason for lower scores has to do with recent inquires for Sapphire and Arrival. What do you all think? App now or wait and apply later? If wait, how long and why? Any responses are welcome. Thanks! 

I know Amex doesn't like to many recent inquires but I don't think you should let it stop you from applying its a SP on denial and HP on approval so you really don't have anything to lose.

Message 2 of 17
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

+1

But the promo just ended......
Message 3 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@britthester wrote:

how old is the hilton?

Message 4 of 17
britthester
New Contributor

I know the promo just ended, but on the website it's showing a 25,000 point bonus if you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months, and you earn an upfront 10,000 points after your first purchase. While 30,000 was nice, I'll still take 25,000. The Hilton card is about a year old. I applied for it back in October, so it's approaching  a year. 

Message 5 of 17
britthester
New Contributor

Btw, how do you put your cards in the signature? I want to do that on my settings, but I haven't figured out how

Message 6 of 17
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@britthester wrote:

Btw, how do you put your cards in the signature? I want to do that on my settings, but I haven't figured out how

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/Profile-tweaks/td-p/1864003

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If Hilton is a year, what about blue?
Have you done a cli on either in the last 6 months?
Message 8 of 17
britthester
New Contributor

I already have the Blue Cash Everday. Are you talking about Amex Blue? I don't really desire Amex Membership Reward points. While they are valuable, I would prefer to get Starwood points that I can transfer to frequent flier programs like Delta and U.S. Air. 

Message 9 of 17
britthester
New Contributor

So, I went ahead and applied. I got the "we'll contact you with our decision message," but when I went to the app status website, it says, "In progress." Anyone have a similar experience that could share what happened? I've always been instantly approved with Amex, so this is new for me. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.