Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Department FCU?

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

State Department FCU?

CAn you all tell me about this credit union.

I am hearing more and more about it. I know they have low interest rates on credit cards and supposely rewards.

What are the rewards?

Do they give generous credit lines?

Is it a hard pull to open a checking account?

Are they conservative in giving credit cards?

Is this a good credit union?

Any info will be very appreciative

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: State Department FCU?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=state+department+federal+credit+union+reviews

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.sdfcu.org/

I joined in March 2012 while looking for better cd rates. Hard pull for checking, saving, credit card and cd. Rewards are typical miscellaneous goods, travel and cash. It was conservative issuing card to me because of my 5 month spree and it was the fifth card issued: FR for me. I have doubts they would have required FR if it was my first application. Consider their target market as the name implies - foreign service officers traveling and stationed all over the world. I expect to have a long term relationship even though it is not my primary account. I feel comfortable recommending them in addition to NFCU, PenFed and PSECU all of which I am a member.

Message 3 of 8
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

i seem to have a problem trying to join sdfcu and alliantcu....it seems to be a problem with andera.com...

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I have their card.  My APR is 8.99%

Rewards are called flexpoints and work the same way as any other rewards program.

I requested a $10k CL and was approved for the APR and then the next day declined on manual review.  I have been told that if you have any baddies on your report, they will decline you on manual review.  I tried to recon over the phone, and was told that they require a written recon request mailed or faxed, so I wrote up a fancy letter and faxed it where it waited until the next week on Wednesday, when they had a meeting to discuss my recon.  The next day they called me and offered $5k.

Their credit card is EMV chip + pin.   This is elite.  You can use it at unmanned train ticket terminals in Europe, to pay for gas at the pump, or just too use at Merchants without the strage look.  It works everywhere, even terminals that only accept PIN transactions.  There is 0% foreign transaction fee.

I don't know anything else about the credit union.  The people at the branch are friendly.  I only applied for membership in order to get the EMV card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 8
oracles
Valued Contributor

thanks guys, this is good info

Message 6 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Don't forget they are the home of the 100k secured visa as well

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Crashem wrote:

Don't forget they are the home of the 100k secured visa as well

Boggle? Smiley Happy

Maybe if I ever manage to switch my middle initial of S for $.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.