cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statement Closing Date - Paying in Full - Balance. A little confused.

tag
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

Statement Closing Date - Paying in Full - Balance. A little confused.

I am a new member and I am confused on the paying in full or to leave 1-9% balance, then pay in full before the statement closing date?

If my Credit Limit is $1,800 should I not spend more then 30% of that per month, $540?

I have a Discover IT $1,800 credit limit. 

Currently as of today 7-09-14    

Balance is $489

Last Statement Balance $180.00

Last Statement Date June, 25, 2014

Payment Due Date Jul 20, 2014 Min $20

(Current Statement is: May 26, 2014- Close Date: Jun 25, 2014) 

I assume my current Open Date is June 26, 2014- Close Date: Jul, 25th?

How much should I pay now and in the future statements, to correclty help improve my reporting to the credit bureaus.   Currently a FICO of 637. All help is much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Statement Closing Date - Paying in Full - Balance. A little confused.

bump, anyone?

Message 2 of 6
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Outdoorstech1 wrote:

I am a new member and I am confused on the paying in full or to leave 1-9% balance, then pay in full before the statement closing date?

If my Credit Limit is $1,800 should I not spend more then 30% of that per month, $540?

You can spend all the way to the credit limit each month. However, you want your statements to report a smaller usage. So pay down the balance to 1-9% before the statement cuts. It looks like you already did that below.. Your last statement balance was $180, or 10% or your 1800 limit. 

I have a Discover IT $1,800 credit limit. 

Currently as of today 7-09-14    

Balance is $489

Last Statement Balance $180.00

Last Statement Date June, 25, 2014

Payment Due Date Jul 20, 2014 Min $20

(Current Statement is: May 26, 2014- Close Date: Jun 25, 2014) 

I assume my current Open Date is June 26, 2014- Close Date: Jul, 25th?

How much should I pay now and in the future statements, to correclty help improve my reporting to the credit bureaus.   Currently a FICO of 637. All help is much appreciated. 

If you pay just the minimum $20, you will be charged interest. In order to avoid interest, you have to pay $180 (last statement balance). 

I assume your next statement will cut on July 25. However, you need to make a payment by July 20 since that's the due date. You can just pay the minimum on July 20, then pay off everything but $100 or so before July 25 (when the statement cuts). There are various ways to plan it Smiley Happy

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 3 of 6
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

BMAN70  Thank you very much!

Message 4 of 6
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

Update:  I paid the $180 balance from my last statement a few days ago.

Discover currently shows the balance due $0.00 by July 20th. And the card balance right now is $485.00. I would want to pay most of the $485 (leave like $100 left) before July 25th (when statement cuts) so it reports a low balance to the credit bureaus?  My CL is $1,800.  

Do I have it all correct, so I can show a Low utilization?

Message 5 of 6
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

@Outdoorstech1 wrote:

Update:  I paid the $180 balance from my last statement a few days ago.

Discover currently shows the balance due $0.00 by July 20th. And the card balance right now is $485.00. I would want to pay most of the $485 (leave like $100 left) before July 25th (when statement cuts) so it reports a low balance to the credit bureaus?  My CL is $1,800.  

Do I have it all correct, so I can show a Low utilization?

Correct

Edit: somehow a bunch of HTML codes wound up in the post --Rev

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.