Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statement Credit Redemption Counts As Payment

tag
kchengg1
Contributor

Statement Credit Redemption Counts As Payment

So I was looking at my discover it that I recently got and I made a large one time purchase on it to take advantage of the 0% APR for 15 months.  This made my minimum payment 41 dollars. But since the purchase was from Apple, I got 5% cash back. That gave me a total of $64~ cash back. I used statement credit before paying and waited a couple of days for the statement credit to kick in. 

Logged in today and saw that my minimum payment is zero. (I'm still going to pay half off, but just thought it was cool that it technically gives you another month of paying zilch)

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Statement Credit Redemption Counts As Payment

good to know, I guess you could also deposit it into your bank and use that money to pay your card as well

Message 2 of 4
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Just noticed it this morning.  I just cashed in $50 for a statement credit and it posted today, my minimum payment due also went to zero, pretty nice!  This isnt the case for Capital One and Barclays.

Message 3 of 4
evil_ducky
Contributor

@EndlessRoad wrote:

Just noticed it this morning.  I just cashed in $50 for a statement credit and it posted today, my minimum payment due also went to zero, pretty nice!  This isnt the case for Capital One and Barclays.

Or Bank of America. Very interesting, Discover.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.