Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statement cut date

tag
lindel
Frequent Contributor

Statement cut date

I just got off the phone with a representive from Capital One, I've only had my cards for about 6 weeks.  So when I got my first statement my utilization was high because im using it like i would my debit card and paying multiple payments on it. Needless to say,i wasnt sure when the statement cut. So for my 2nd statement i wanted to make sure my utilization was below the 10% utilization. The Customer Service represented stated that my bill is due on the 25th of each month. but my statement cuts on the 28th of each month. Does that sound right? I thought it would cut before the due dates. I'm so confusedSmiley Sad

Fico Scores :03/12/2015 Equifax 565, Transunion 585, Experian 563
Current Fico Scores 12/15/2015 EQ 612, TU 645, EX 655
Kay Jewelers 4000/Barclays MC 1300/ Firestone1200/ Cap1 Quicksilver 2300/ NFCU nrewards secured 600/ Macys 600/ Walmart 3500/ Amazon 3500/ Cap 1 Journey 1050/ Kohls 300/ Banana Republic 3500/ Texaco 890/ BP 2000/ Jcrew 250/ Victoria Secrets 250/ Eddie Bauer 250/ Marisota 500/ SimplyBe 500/ Discount Tires 500/ Care Credit 1000/ American Eagle 150/ QVC 2000
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Re: Statement cut date

Yes, that sounds right.  The statement usually cuts a couple days after your due date.  One of my Cap1 cards is due on the 4th and the statement cuts on the 7th.  The other is due on the 28th and the startment cuts on the 3rd.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 2 of 16
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@lindel wrote:

I just got off the phone with a representive from Capital One, I've only had my cards for about 6 weeks.  So when I got my first statement my utilization was high because im using it like i would my debit card and paying multiple payments on it. Needless to say,i wasnt sure when the statement cut. So for my 2nd statement i wanted to make sure my utilization was below the 10% utilization. The Customer Service represented stated that my bill is due on the 25th of each month. but my statement cuts on the 28th of each month. Does that sound right? I thought it would cut before the due dates. I'm so confusedSmiley Sad

That sounds exactly correct.  In your case, the payment is due on the 25th which is for last months statement and the new statement cuts on the 28th.  Make sense?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is correct.  The Statement always cuts a few days after the due date so they can reflect the payment status.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you look at it that way, it doesn't make sense... but if you look at it as if your statement cuts 25 days before your (next) due date, it makes sense. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lindel wrote:

I am in agreement with the other posters. I have a Cap1 one and my last statement cut on 4/16, due on 5/13.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that sounds right. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds about right!  And now you are aware so you can pay attention to when not to run up the card.  One of my cards due date is April 22nd.  Then on the 25th is closing date/statement cut.  So what I do is make sure that by the 22nd I pay in full or leave a little bit (under 10%util), don't charge anything until the day after the statement cuts.  Hope this makes sense!

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Statement date and due date are fixed for every month, unless you change address or the due date.

^ true for cap1 only, confirmed by CSR.

Message 9 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Statement date and due date are fixed for every month, unless you change address or the due date.

That is not my experience.

While my Discover reports on the 13th of every month without fail BoA and Citi will report anywhere from the 5th to the 8th of the month. It always varies with them.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.