cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticking to UR points or MR points? Or both?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sticking to UR points or MR points? Or both?

I currently have a CSP for UR earning purposes (plan to apply for CSR in the near future) and I'm thinking of eventually thinking of applying for CF and CFU to maximize my UR earning potential. I always find myself looking at Amex cards and their MR points. Do you guys find MR points as valuable as UR points? I know it depends on many factors as spend, local hub, as well as many other factors. I was just looking for some insight as to best redemption options and if hotel redemption is worth it or not? Thanks in advance, guys!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sticking to UR points or MR points? Or both?

I have both the Amex platinum and the CSR. I haven't used UR yet but I found the MR to be good. I transferred 40k points from my mr account to Delta. I had to pay $24 to do this. The points transferred almost immediately. I booked a flight for my wife, son, and myself to tpa from iah for 40k points and $400 which I used delta gift cards that I bought with my travel credit on. It was pretty simple. 

Message 2 of 24
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have a CSP for UR earning purposes (plan to apply for CSR in the near future) and I'm thinking of eventually thinking of applying for CF and CFU to maximize my UR earning potential. I always find myself looking at Amex cards and their MR points. Do you guys find MR points as valuable as UR points? I know it depends on many factors as spend, local hub, as well as many other factors. I was just looking for some insight as to best redemption options and if hotel redemption is worth it or not? Thanks in advance, guys!

I don't have enough spend to justify two different reward programs. I am moving away from UR's and going to MR's simply because I can accrue them faster with Amex. 

It's also a decision for me to work with a lender that will grow with you, like Amex. Chase wants a HP for everything, and I'm at a point where I can now choose what lenders I want to do business with. 

I don't see Chase sticking in my wallet much longer, which is funny since so many people in this forum would give an appendage to get in with them. 

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have both the Amex platinum and the CSR. I haven't used UR yet but I found the MR to be good. I transferred 40k points from my mr account to Delta. I had to pay $24 to do this. The points transferred almost immediately. I booked a flight for my wife, son, and myself to tpa from iah for 40k points and $400 which I used delta gift cards that I bought with my travel credit on. It was pretty simple. 

I see you're based out of FL like myself (Orlando-MCO). How are you liking the Amex Platinum as opposed to the CSR benefits and vice versa? I recently got a preapproved mailer for 50k points with 5k spend but if I decided to get it I would hold off for a better offer. 

Message 4 of 24
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

FWIW I used 160k UR early last year to book JFK-BKK on Asiana and it cost around 14 USD for the flight , you should look at which transfer partners would benefit you the most. With that being said i have both UR and MR cards in my wallet presently its EDP for MR, and CSR+freedom for UR

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have enough spend to justify two different reward programs. I am moving away from UR's and going to MR's simply because I can accrue them faster with Amex. 

It's also a decision for me to work with a lender that will grow with you, like Amex. Chase wants a HP for everything, and I'm at a point where I can now choose what lenders I want to do business with. 

I don't see Chase sticking in my wallet much longer, which is funny since so many people in this forum would give an appendage to get in with them. 

Haha. That's very true! I was looking at the PRG prior to getting the CSP. I like the rewards structure. Do you find the annual fee to be worth it? What are your thoughts on the Platinum since you favor MR points?

Message 6 of 24
elim
Senior Contributor

CF + CFU + CSR is an earning combination. I hate finding award seats so UR's work well for me (I closed my PRG).

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

CF + CFU + CSR is an earning combination. I hate finding award seats so UR's work well for me (I closed my PRG).

This is the combo I'm leaning towards for the reason you mentioned. 

Message 8 of 24
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

I got hurt in one of my boats late last year and travel stopped. I bought a $300 Marriott GC with CSR and was reimbursed instantly.  easy peasy.   :]

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

I got hurt in one of my boats late last year and travel stopped. I bought a $300 Marriott GC with CSR and was reimbursed instantly.  easy peasy.   :]

So it's as simple as that? That's awesome! I can't wait until I get a CSR!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.