Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticky mess I am in

tag
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Sticky mess I am in

Utilization is 35% of your score. paying down your debt will fix your score. It is the only non-longterm damage. 1 reporting cycle and all your lost points are back.

Message 11 of 29
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

Please know that no one is trying to be mean here.  You asked us for advice and we are all giving you the best advice we have.  We know it's a tough situation.  How you get out of it is what matters in the long run.  No one on this forum will advise you of an easy way out because there isn't one.  Simple as that.

we can help you formulate a plan.  As AJC mentioned, the rebuilder forum is where I began my journey 2 years ago.  I went from scores in the 500's to scores ranging from 738 to 767.  Simply by following what I learned here.  Many have been through this and you will get through it too.

Message 12 of 29
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You must live within your means. We all want things - but if we can't afford them, then we don't get them. You have lived beyond your means, and it has caught up with you a bit. Those amounts are not large and any sort of job should be able to bring it under control. You have to stop adding to the debt and work to pay it off instead. Once that is done, save for the things you want and don't get them until you can pay for them.

Message 13 of 29
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

2-3k is not much debt at all..  Just stop spending on your CC and pay them off whether it takes 3 months or 3 years.  You owe the money it is that simple.. Even if you take a part time job doing say pizzza delivery or Uber on the side you would have that debt paid off in 6 months max by a bit of extra work.

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cut up all your cards, and start paying them down from highest APR to lowest. Seek credit counseling or I'd even recommend professional counseling to help you figure out how your minimizing the real financial problem here. Like others have suggested gym memberships, Starbucks l, etc need to be cut out....YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT! you can still work out without a gym, and live without the other unneeded expenses. You come off as defensive with others on here, so take my advice however you wish. Good luck!
Message 15 of 29
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Talk with your creditors to let them know that you're struggling and see if there are any alternative payment plans available that could possibly cut your minimum monthly payments in half. Not sure if this is an option, but you can surely give it a try. Last year, I set a goal to pay off my car 2 years ahead of schedule by doubling my payments. In order to do that, I disconnected my cable, cut my utility bill in half by turning off every light switch that was not needed and limited the HVAC system to extreme weather conditions only, canceled my post -paid Verizon account and now have pre-paid, increased my car insurance deductibles, stopped paying my mother's cell phone bill, and started making my 20-year -old pay her own cell bill and a portion of her car insurance. These sacrifices have freed up on average $500 per month, which I'm on target to meet my goal. You have to make some hard decisions if it's important for you to clear up the debt. You can do it! Best wishes!
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not quitting my gym membership. That is way too important for me. I am between 2k to 3k in what my overall balances are.

And therein lies your problem.You're not willing to sacrifice.

Your gym is not important. NOBODY needs a gym membership. You can do pushups at home. Sit-ups. go for a jog. Buy a bike. Hell you blame part of your debt on car insurance? Sell the car, pay off your debt. 

If 2-3K in debt is overwhelming you, you really don't need credit.

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be grateful that you are learning this lesson now while you're still young and only a few thousand in debt. I, too, was once young and (sorry) clueless, and I'm still paying back that debt (I'm now in my 40's). Live and learn, as they say. 

What you need to do is stop using the cards. At all. Period. Cut them up and throw them away. You'll still have to pay them off, but at least you won't continue adding to the debt. 

I assume you have a job? See if you can get another one, or one that pays better. Figure out a side job to bring in extra cash. Drive for Uber or Lyft. Sell anything you have of value on eBay or Craigslist. 

Cut out any and all unnecessary expenses. If you think $3k is a "massive amount of debt" then you have no business with a gym membership and eating out at restaurants more than on the very rare occasion. Stop living beyond your means. Figure out what you absolutely must have to survive (food, shelter, transportation, etc.) and build a budget around that. 

Do not spend money you do not have. And pay back the money you owe. 

Once you catch onto this, you'll be on your way. 

Sorry if this is harsh, but I hope you see it for how it is intended, as a well-meaning wake-up call. 

Good luck to you. 

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you guys are gettin trolled.
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

My gym membership is only $27 a month.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.