Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still in AMEX MSD Denial..help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still in AMEX MSD Denial..help!

Hello everyone! Quick question about AMEX's backdating/MSD. I had the JetBlue AMEX back in 2005. It was closed "at the credit grantor's request", but it shows up under the "closed accounts in good standing" section of my credit report.

I got approved for an EveryDay AMEX on 3/1/15, but it didn't report until 4/28/15, so I didn't make the 3/21/15 cut off for back dating and it reported to the CBs with the true "Date Opened" date of 3/1/15(NOT the MSD that reflects on my physical card)

IM CLEARLY STILL IN DENIAL...so here's my question:

Would AMEX re-open my JetBlue account if I requested it? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing(re-opening old accounts w/AMEX?) Any replies would be greatly appreciated, even if it's "Get over it, Anacany, it's not happening" - thanks...!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Still in AMEX MSD Denial..help!

How long ago was it closed?  They MIGHT reopen it if it was fairly recent but that's really an answer only AMEX will be able to give ya.

Message 2 of 11
Santi78342
Established Contributor

I'm guessing reopening a 10 year old account is a definite no go. But you can get a truely definitive answer by chatting with an Amex CSR via online or phone.

Good luck though!

ETA: I'm assuming this card was closed in '05 btw. If it was closed a few months ago, I'm sure you stand a chance.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was actually closed way back in '05...thanks for the quick reply! I'll try my luck tonight w/an AMEX csr! I highly doubt they will reopen an account from 2005, but it doesn't hurt to ask, I guess! Thanks again! Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy
Message 4 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

What do you mean the cutoff date for backdating? Has the amex policy of backdating changed?

Bah! Nevermind just found the big thread about it. A backstep by Amex in my mind, but since I didn't recently apply for anything with them it doesn't impact me. In the future I may not apply for an amex over another card when I would have before due to backdating benefit. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I read all 69 pages of the thread and my eyes now hurt. It directly affected me, as the backdating would have really really helped my AAoA! But I'm with'ya! I won't be applying for any other AMEX products, now that the backdating is a thing of the past!
Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, I read all 69 pages of the thread and my eyes now hurt. It directly affected me, as the backdating would have really really helped my AAoA! But I'm with'ya! I won't be applying for any other AMEX products, now that the backdating is a thing of the past!

Well, now it's just the same as other issuers, so I wouldn't be quite so negative!  Apply for the card that suits your needs, and if that happens to be an Amex, fine (it won't be as good for AAoA as it was before, but no other new card will help either)

Message 7 of 11
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, now it's just the same as other issuers, so I wouldn't be quite so negative!  Apply for the card that suits your needs, and if that happens to be an Amex, fine (it won't be as good for AAoA as it was before, but no other new card will help either)

I might be wrong but it seems like "a lot" of people applied for AMEX because of that specific feature - at least on these forums. 

Since I never experienced what otherwise is termed as an "excellent service" (other than the 3X CLI that came later but better than never), I always felt that the BD aspect was what's keeping them ahead of the race. 

Of course it's personal opinion. Now if only they'd come up with a 5% card...

Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I might be wrong but it seems like "a lot" of people applied for AMEX because of that specific feature - at least on these forums. 

Since I never experienced what otherwise is termed as an "excellent service" (other than the 3X CLI that came later but better than never), I always felt that the BD aspect was what's keeping them ahead of the race. 

I think a lot of people applied for seond and subsequent cards for that feature (and people applied for the first to "get in" with Amex) but I think many did see value in their first Amex.   Yes, they often got the BCE which [offensive opinion deleted] but some really do get value from them.    (Others got cards from other issuers purely because of the perceived high CL starting limit, and in time that went away too on some cards!)

OBC is 5%!

Message 9 of 11
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think a lot of people applied for seond and subsequent cards for that feature (and people applied for the first to "get in" with Amex) but I think many did see value in their first Amex.   Yes, they often got the BCE which [offensive opinion deleted] but some really do get value from them.    (Others got cards from other issuers purely because of the perceived high CL starting limit, and in time that went away too on some cards!)

OBC is 5%!

He he. But a lot of hassle (okay a bit of a hassle + dismissive look from SO) to get through the first $6.5k and then making sure I navigate the system to make it close to 5% in other segments as well. A more straightforward card will be appreciated Smiley Happy

Regarding first AMEX, in my case the value was there when I didn't know about SMMC. But then I did, and just like that, the value disappeared. It came back after a year in the form of the 3X CLI, but not in its entirety!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.