cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen Card from 2000 Showing up on current report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stolen Card from 2000 Showing up on current report?

I had a credit card stolen in 2000 when I was in college. My TU report when pulled by a mortgage broker is showing that the card from Providian has a balance of $1869 with a limit of $1800. This is of course affecting my revolving debt amount. It is actually listed on the report as Lost or Stolen. The last dates on it are 12/99 (when it was opened) and 11/2000, when it was closed. Can I write to TU and have them remove this item?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Re: Stolen Card from 2000 Showing up on current report?

I think you need some kind of proof before they would remove it.  Did you report the theft or loss to the credit card company?  Did you report it to the police.  They arae not going to remove it without proof that it was stolen or lost and that you did not incur the charges.  Just my two cents.
Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 2 of 10
Uniqua
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a credit card stolen in 2000 when I was in college. My TU report when pulled by a mortgage broker is showing that the card from Providian has a balance of $1869 with a limit of $1800. This is of course affecting my revolving debt amount. It is actually listed on the report as Lost or Stolen. The last dates on it are 12/99 (when it was opened) and 11/2000, when it was closed. Can I write to TU and have them remove this item?

Yes, you can submit a dispute online with TU. Since it has been long past the 7-year mark, I don't think they'll give you a hard time removing this stolen CC. I had an account that was about 10-years old on my TU CR so I disputed it as being too old and less than 24-hours later, TU had removed the old TL from my CR. All the best.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did actually report the card as stolen to the company. I will file with TU to see if they will remove it as it has been almost nine years ago at this point. Thanks!
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iwantbettercredit wrote:
I think you need some kind of proof before they would remove it.  Did you report the theft or loss to the credit card company?  Did you report it to the police.  They arae not going to remove it without proof that it was stolen or lost and that you did not incur the charges.  Just my two cents.

I disagree.Its a 9yr old debt.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I did actually report the card as stolen to the company. I will file with TU to see if they will remove it as it has been almost nine years ago at this point. Thanks!

Call dont dispute.By calling they should remove it asap....
Message 6 of 10
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iwantbettercredit wrote:
I disagree.Its a 9yr old debt.

U are right.  My Bad, I somehow missed the almost 9 yr. old part. Definately call or write the credit bureau.

Message Edited by iwantbettercredit on 06-24-2009 12:05 PM
Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filled out the online form for TU. It starts out as an "Investigate" and then I just selected to update the info as it's too old. It was actually relatively painless. Imagine that, something painless related to a CC. Smiley Very Happy Here's to hoping it's one small step on a long journey.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update- TU took the card off my report within their 30 day window. Cleaning up credit feels good.
Message 9 of 10
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just an update- TU took the card off my report within their 30 day window. Cleaning up credit feels good.

Nice. Good to hear that. Was hoping you'd come back here and update us. Thanks Smiley Happy

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.