Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stolen Credit Card

While shopping today a thief stole my wallet with contained one of my cc's, drivers license and my credit union visa debit card.  I contacted the police and they responded, took all the info and reviewed video surveillance of the store which and they have video of the thief in action.  I also contacted the cc and credit union.  My brother suggested I see if there is a way to contact credit bureaus to place a hold, or something like that, in case they try to apply for credit under my name.  I said I didn't think this is necessary as they don't have my SSN.  Opinions please.  Thank  you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Stolen Credit Card

Put security freezes on all your reports.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
dude11
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

Put security freezes on all your reports.

Agree with LS. If the thief knows what they are doing they are able to steal your identity with what they have. Don't think SSN is needed. Why you think they say that you should shred any mailings that contain Name and Address info because identities can somehow be stolen with just little info.
Message 3 of 8
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Definitely put a freeze on your credit reports. I was the victim of identity theft recently due to a lost driver's license. Even without the SS# they are able to open accounts in your name with certain retailers. I also had to change my driver's license number. 

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 4 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Close that debit card STAT

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your responses.  I have reported both the credit card and debit card as stolen and they have been closed.  Can you please tell me how I initiate the process of putting a freeze on my credit reports?  

Message 6 of 8
journey258
Frequent Contributor

You can initiate that online at each of the credit bureau websites. Its a relatively simple process.

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 7 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@journey258 wrote:

You can initiate that online at each of the credit bureau websites. Its a relatively simple process.

As well as a process that would otherwise cost money (depending on which state you are from), but should not come with a fee, given you have a police report. YMMV.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.