Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Card vs. Credit Card Question

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Store Card vs. Credit Card Question

Hey guys, I have a quick question:

I understand the difference between store and credit cards, however I want to verify the distinction.

Are co-branded cards (Walmart, Gap, Barnes & Noble, etc. with a visa/mastercard/amex/discover logo) considered "store" or "credit" when it comes to looking at the credit report?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Store Card vs. Credit Card Question

I don't know that many "stores" handle the credit card themselves these days and I don't think GE puts language on credit report outside of "credit card"

I think more so you may see "Credit Card" vs. Charge Card" with some store credit cards these days.  My Von Maur Store Card is a Charge Card and is treated like an Amex Charge Card on Credit.

Macy's use to be that way also but now they are doing credit lines again so it may have changed back.

Message 2 of 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I don't know that many "stores" handle the credit card themselves these days and I don't think GE puts language on credit report outside of "credit card"

I think more so you may see "Credit Card" vs. Charge Card" with some store credit cards these days.  My Von Maur Store Card is a Charge Card and is treated like an Amex Charge Card on Credit.

Macy's use to be that way also but now they are doing credit lines again so it may have changed back.

In that you're right...they are distinguished between "credit" and "charge". I know my JCP is listed as a "revolving charge card", which is like an oxymoron in the myFICO credit world...

So then I pose this question: for those with the cobranded, how do they list them on your account? do they mention "charge card" anywhere in the description, or is it simply "credit card" like a Freedom would be?

Message 3 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

The store cards are referred to as retail cards unless they get upgraded. For example; once wal mart card is upgraded to discover then its classified as a "major credit card"
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
The store cards are referred to as retail cards unless they get upgraded. For example; once wal mart card is upgraded to discover then its classified as a "major credit card"

Wonderful! Thanks webhopper!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.