Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards Dropping Like Dominos

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Store Cards Dropping Like Dominos

While building and/or rebuilding credit they might have been fun and simple to get preapproved for, and somewhat useful in the begininng to a point, but the overuse of the SCT eventually reaches an apex. Being overextended and saturated with too many of them IMO might pose a crippling effect so today i continued the quest to slash 3 more of them yet again. With Comenity this now leaves VS(1025), Jcrew ($5400) and Linensource ($1650) which by the way also just got a CLI on. VS is likely next since JCrew is reasonably more frequent with CLI's and although really expensive i like shopping there sometimes. Linensource can be used with multiple catalogs so Kingsize & Jessica London were clearly redundant and needed purged. 

On to Target RedCard ($500), when i called this afternoon to close this one i was transferred to a separate account dept rep not a CSR. They straightway honored the request to close it then went on to add that if they do close it, that it is permanant, suggesting to some sort of blacklist just for closing the account and wouldn't be able to open another ever again with Target. How true that is i don't know and further couldn't care less anyway and so be it, because being stuck at such a low limit with the Target Store RedCard for such a time already (2years +) with no CLI whatsover except for the first 3 months (300-500) opening it is long enough. I didn't even bother to try to prod them for any knowing full well it will never grow anyway.

So from a total of 8 Comenity store cards about a year ago, now to only 3 with 1 more for certain pending, maybe 2 Smiley Happy i think it was the right move at the right time to squeeze out these store cards that served their purpose, let those closings reflect on the CR's, and move forward again without dragging around all of that uneccessary baggage in front of future U/W reviews. Since i'm focusing strictly on Bankcards going forward after a nice stay in the Garden for 3-4 months more, do you think that this sort of action now will help my FICO scores at all or not.

I'm currently looking at 3 major Bankcards going 1 year in February for a slight FICO lift then, and felt particularly uneasy with the stockpile of those low limit store cards included on the reports. 

138.gif

Message 1 of 129
128 REPLIES 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store Cards Dropping Like Dominos

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

While building and/or rebuilding credit they might have been fun and simple to get preapproved for, and somewhat useful in the begininng to a point, but the overuse of the SCT eventually reaches an apex. Being overextended and saturated with too many of them IMO might pose a crippling effect so today i continued the quest to slash 3 more of them yet again. With Comenity this now leaves VS(1025), Jcrew ($5400) and Linensource ($1650) which by the way also just got a CLI on. VS is likely next since JCrew is reasonably more frequent with CLI's and although really expensive i like shopping there sometimes. Linensource can be used with multiple catalogs so Kingsize & Jessica London were clearly redundant and needed purged. 

On to Target RedCard ($500), when i called this afternoon to close this one i was transferred to a separate account dept rep not a CSR. They straightway honored the request to close it then went on to add that if they do close it, that it is permanant, suggesting to some sort of blacklist just for closing the account and wouldn't be able to open another ever again with Target. How true that is i don't know and further couldn't care less anyway and so be it, because being stuck at such a low limit with the Target Store RedCard for such a time already (2years +) with no CLI whatsover except for the first 3 months (300-500) opening it is long enough. I didn't even bother to try to prod them for any knowing full well it will never grow anyway.

So from a total of 8 Comenity store cards about a year ago, now to only 3 with 1 more for certain pending, maybe 2 Smiley Happy i think it was the right move at the right time to squeeze out these store cards that served their purpose, let those closings reflect on the CR's, and move forward again without dragging around all of that uneccessary baggage in front of future U/W reviews. Since i'm focusing strictly on Bankcards going forward after a nice stay in the Garden for 3-4 months more, do you think that this sort of action now will help my FICO scores at all or not.

I'm currently looking at 3 major Bankcards going 1 year in February for a slight FICO lift then, and felt particularly uneasy with the stockpile of those low limit store cards included on the reports. 

138.gif

I approve of this. Smiley Happy

Which cards (Besides Sallie Mae) are you targeting?

Message 2 of 129
baller4life
Super Contributor

I just cringe when I see people loading up on SCT cards. Good job dumping them.

Message 3 of 129
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

138.gif

Wow! Really?!

Anywho, good move!

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 4 of 129
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Nice job.. I only have 2 Store Cards JCREW and Gamestop, both SCT.. Honestly the Gamestop was just dumb of me.. I rather pay with a rewards regular credit card for whatever I need console/game wise...  JCREW actually I don't mind using and those credit limits can get very big from others I have seen.. Waiting to hit the 9 months then hoping for some big love.. So gamestop will be closed once it hits a year, quite a bit of time left Smiley Sad...

People the SCT is ok for 1 or 2 cards, but you will regret it later!  Thank gosh I didn't get taken to far into it.. Gamestop I must of been drinking Tequilla while I Drapped (well accepted the pre-approval)..  

Message 5 of 129
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

Same. It's like watching a movie you've seen before where a guy is about to run into traffic and get splattered, and then it happens. But every time you say "NOOOO, don't do it!"

I understand the lure of easy approvals when you're used to being denied all the time, but it's absolutely not worth it.

Message 6 of 129
baller4life
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Nice job.. I only have 2 Store Cards JCREW and Gamestop, both SCT.. Honestly the Gamestop was just dumb of me.. I rather pay with a rewards regular credit card for whatever I need console/game wise...  JCREW actually I don't mind using and those credit limits can get very big from others I have seen.. Waiting to hit the 9 months then hoping for some big love.. So gamestop will be closed once it hits a year, quite a bit of time left Smiley Sad...

People the SCT is ok for 1 or 2 cards, but you will regret it later!  Thank gosh I didn't get taken to far into it.. Gamestop I must of been drinking Tequilla while I Drapped (well accepted the pre-approval)..  

+ a gazillion

Message 7 of 129
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

138.gif

Wow! Really?!

Anywho, good move!

Yeah, i don't know if it was just a scare tactic or what kind of nonsense that was all about but it didn't really matter anyway.

Message 8 of 129
Mantis350
Regular Contributor

I too am getting rid of my Comenity VS card.  No longer have my gold digging ex in my life so no need for it (I don't purchase that much of that cologne there lol).  The $1600 limit served its purpose when rebuilding.  This post just gave me the additional support I needed to close this card for good.  Now I only have Home Depot(5k), Lowes(10.6k) and Express(2.5k) for store cards.  MIGHT get rid of Express soon too....I shop there a lot though so not too sure about this.  Just dont want to have more than 2 store cards any longer.  Oh yea I do have Sportsmans but that has a MC logo sooo.....yea

PenFed Rewards Visa Sig-$14,000 | BofA Plat Visa-$12,500 | Discover IT-$11,000 | NASA-$7,500 | WF Cash Rewards Visa-$6,800 | BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig-$6,500 | Barclay Rewards MC-$6,000 | Cap1 QS Visa Sig-$5,750 | Citi DC-$5,500 | Cap1 Venture 1-$4,500 | Cap1 QS-$3,400 | Chase Freedom-$3,400 | AMEX BCE-$2,000 | Lowes-$15,000 | Home Depot-$5,000
|Current Score(2/19/2016)|| 709 EQ || 734 TU || 729 EXP ||
Message 9 of 129
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Same. It's like watching a movie you've seen before where a guy is about to run into traffic and get splattered, and then it happens. But every time you say "NOOOO, don't do it!"

I understand the lure of easy approvals when you're used to being denied all the time, but it's absolutely not worth it.

Final Destination fan? Smiley Wink

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 10 of 129
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.