Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards Dropping Like Dominos

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store Cards Dropping Like Dominos

@kdm31091 wrote:

I am usually all for "close it if it's useless to you" but the big exception is when it would be a huge blow to your utilization because that can be damaging. In that case, I suggest SD the unwanted card until you can get some CLIs on other cards. Then you can more easily close the unwanted card without a big utilization blow.

That's my problem w/ Amazon Visa. I'm not keeping it long term, but I don't want to kill it too soon because it's a large limit. If I can get a good BCE boost later on in the spring, the Amazon will be done. I have no interest in a card that I know for a fact will never have a lower APR. Just not my thing, even though I don't typically carry balances

@kdm31091 wrote:

I am usually all for "close it if it's useless to you" but the big exception is when it would be a huge blow to your utilization because that can be damaging. In that case, I suggest SD the unwanted card until you can get some CLIs on other cards. Then you can more easily close the unwanted card without a big utilization blow.

That's my problem w/ Amazon Visa. I'm not keeping it long term, but I don't want to kill it too soon because it's a large limit. If I can get a good BCE boost later on in the spring, the Amazon will be done. I have no interest in a card that I know for a fact will never have a lower APR. Just not my thing, even though I don't typically carry balances

i'm with you - makes sense. i'm going to close out my vs, hsn and jcp cards.
as for my apping currently scheduled for march 4th - should i delay closing the cards? or should i close the cards right now and not worry about it? or close the cards right now and delay the apping?

Message 71 of 129
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Well, I think if the card's limit is only 500, you can close it without worry. That would affect your utilization in such a miniscule amount it's not really worth stressing over IMO. The problem comes with closing larger limits cards as far as blows to util.

Message 72 of 129
Firefly_1984
Regular Contributor

I've been very well-behaved in the store card department. I found that I never used my JCP store card that much after I got it, so it was closed 2 years ago.  My Firestone is far more useful. Can't beat the 6 months no interest. Far too easy to pay off in that amount of time, even when brakes are involved. ha!

Age of Credit: 7 years; AAOA: 2 years 6 months
AMEX ED: $9600 Chase Freedom 4500 Discover It 4500 Citi Diamond Preferred: 3200 Care Credit: 3100 DeltaCCU: 6000 Firestone: 1600

Chained in the garden for a LONG TIME!
Message 73 of 129
taxi818
Super Contributor

Congrats. on getting rid of the fat. the problem i have is my 3 sct cards. all comenity. adds up to 10k in limits. im not dumping as a good cusion.

5k on jcrew. 2500 on overstock. and 2500 on king size. just too easy to pad my util. ooh well.

Message 74 of 129
LS2982
Mega Contributor

My store cards are too old to close, never close out cards that have a long history.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 75 of 129
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:
My store cards are too old to close, never close out cards that have a long history.

Define "Long"

Message 76 of 129
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

should I close my Best Buy now that I have Freedom and BCE?

They're not really the same thing, but if you aren't getting significant benefit or use out of Best Buy I see no shame in dropping it, although it has a pretty decent limit so your util is gonna be affected. You could SD it, wait until you get CLI on your BCE, and then close it at that point, to help soften the util blow, instead of closing it now.

but what if I close and get another card?

Message 77 of 129
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would say at least 3 years. I'm sure there are people here that would say longer but there's really no point in closing them they can only help you not hurt you you've already taken the INQ and new acct score hit

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 78 of 129
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They're not really the same thing, but if you aren't getting significant benefit or use out of Best Buy I see no shame in dropping it, although it has a pretty decent limit so your util is gonna be affected. You could SD it, wait until you get CLI on your BCE, and then close it at that point, to help soften the util blow, instead of closing it now.

Closing and getting new card will hurt you AAOA. So kind of pointless. It just depends. 

Message 79 of 129
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Closing and getting new card will hurt you AAOA. So kind of pointless. It just depends. 

oh, then I need to reevaluate my next credit step. 

Message 80 of 129
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.