Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards: Still Necessary?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Store Cards: Still Necessary?

Is it still advisable to get store cards to help your credit score? I've recently heard conflicting answers.

And any store cards have lower APRs or better benefits than others?

Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Store Cards: Still Necessary?

This is hard to answer without knowing your goals or current profile. Mind sharing more?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will always get conflicting stories; many like store cards and others stay clear from them. As far as benefits I’d suggest googling and searching in the search box on the forum. I mean no disrespect but it gets highly annoying scrolling through the forum with the same questions being asked over and over or reading someone’s every thought.

Message 3 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you shop often enough to merit having a dedicated credit account for the merchant. Some have loyalty programs for discounts.

Message 4 of 71
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you shop often enough to merit having a dedicated credit account for the merchant. Some have loyalty programs for discounts.

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. What my question is, is do you need a mix of regular credit cards and store cards to improve your credit.

Message 5 of 71
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean no disrespect but it gets highly annoying scrolling through the forum with the same questions being asked over and over or reading someone’s every thought.

No offense taken. But you don't have to read it and post to it if you are annoyed by it....also, no disrespect.

Message 6 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like to have a couple store cards that I would use normally.  They do give out much better rewards plus bigger bonus points when you shop on their sale days.  

Message 7 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You will always get conflicting stories; many like store cards and others stay clear from them. As far as benefits I’d suggest googling and searching in the search box on the forum. I mean no disrespect but it gets highly annoying scrolling through the forum with the same questions being asked over and over or reading someone’s every thought.

This -I mean no disrespect but it gets highly annoying scrolling through the forum with the same questions being asked over and over or reading someone’s every thought.

Some people are new to the forum and may ask questions that have been asked over and over again.  Yes, it can be frustrating but they need answers to their questions also. It is best to move on from the thread if you are bothered by the questions asked.

Message 8 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. What my question is, is do you need a mix of regular credit cards and store cards to improve your credit.

To answer what I bolded: no, you do not have to have a mix of store cards and bank cards.  You can end up with an excellent credit rating with a couple credit cards and nothing else, but a perfect credit rating comes with a mix of revolving credit and installment loans and a long AAoA with a prefect payment history.  

Message 9 of 71
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No.

Store credit cards are at the (almost) bottom of the credit hierarchy. 

The credit lords live thusly (top to bottom) : mortgage, car loans, student loans, misc instalment loans, big-bank credit card, store credit card, consumer financial agencies. 

It's good to have a mix but it's recommended to move up. If you have only store cards, get a few big bank cards. If you have only bank cards, get an instalment loan in the mix.

However, mix is a very small component of the overall picture. It's easy to get 750+ by not having more than one kind of debt. 800+ may be difficult. But when you're 750+, you'll start getting approved for most products and at pretty favorable rates.

That said, people like getting store cards because (a) they get good value (read: discounts) out of them and (b) they're easy to get sometimes, so people app for them when big banks aren't giving any cards.

Message 10 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.