Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards Worth Having

tag
jigglypuff
Regular Contributor

Store Cards Worth Having

I read so much bashing of store cards here. Most of it is totally warranted. With that said, I'd love to hear which store cards you actually love and why.

I love my Target card -- 5% off purchases and always free shipping (no minimum). I can find better prices online at Target than Walgreens in-store (and use a cash back portal!), and I don't have Amazon Prime (presumably, the things I order from Target are what many turn to Amazon for) -- so this card is amazing for me. It also extends your return period to 90 days, which I've used on more than one occasion.

I also love my Ebates card for eBay purchases. I haven't found a better card for cash back on eBay than this. You get at least 4% cash back when using this card for eBay in conjunction with the Ebates portal.

What store cards actually provide value to you?
Green Card: NPSL | Freedom VS: $5K | Discover it: $25K | Quicksilver Platinum MC: $6K | Victoria's Secret Angel Forever: $3.15K | Sapphire Preferred VS: $7.3K | Dividend Platinum Select V: $9K | Barclaycard Rewards MC: $1.5K | Cash Rewards Platinum Plus V: $2.5K | Slate V: $500 | Target REDcard: $1.5K | Amex EveryDay: $18K | Blue Cash Everyday: $18K | Fidelity Rewards VS: $9K | Double Cash WMC: $12.8K | Better Balance Rewards Platinum Plus MC: $7.5K | Ebates Cash Back VS: $8K | Nordstrom VS: $10K | Sallie Mae WMC: $5K | FNBO American Express 6.25%: $11.7K | Quicksilver VS: $10.75K | SaksFirst Store Card: $2.25K | Saks WEMC: $8K | Iberia Bank Visa Classic: $8.5K | Blispay V: $7.5K
Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Store Cards Worth Having

@jigglypuff wrote:
I read so much bashing of store cards here. Most of it is totally warranted. With that said, I'd love to hear which store cards you actually love and why.

I love my Target card -- 5% off purchases and always free shipping (no minimum). I can find better prices online at Target than Walgreens in-store (and use a cash back portal!), and I don't have Amazon Prime (presumably, the things I order from Target are what many turn to Amazon for) -- so this card is amazing for me. It also extends your return period to 90 days, which I've used on more than one occasion.

I also love my Ebates card for eBay purchases. I haven't found a better card for cash back on eBay than this. You get at least 4% cash back when using this card for eBay in conjunction with the Ebates portal.

Store cards can really be a mixed bag.  They can be instrumental to a rebuild, since generally-speaking they are easier to be approved for than a major network credit card (I'm avoiding the term 'prime' here since it's completely subjective).  However if someone goes overboard, getting too many store cards can cause more problems than they solve... it just depends on an individual's credit profile, spending patterns, and discipline.

I have a few store cards that I like very much, and a couple that I only keep around due to their relatively significant age.  At some point I have a major purchase planned for Lowe's, and I plan on using their special financing for 5.99% for up to 84 months.  I also have the Sam's Club MasterCard, which as a 'dual card' is both a store card and a major network card... it's actually quite useful to me and "earns" me a few hundred dollars each year in rewards .

I don't have the Target card, but if I were a regular Target shopper I would definitely check into it.  I also don't have the Amazon store card, but I'm a fan of it as well, especially for those who have Amazon Prime. 

I would simply say that a one-size-fits-all is seldom a good approach; while many folks on here mean well with their warnings about store cards if one uses them correctly they can be nice to have.  I'll also add that many times what you see on here isn't actually bashing of the store cards themselves, but of the behavior people sometimes exhibit when they are getting cards just for sake of getting them, without making a plan or thinking things through.

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Amazon Prime card is most valuable to me. I have prime and shop on Amazon almost weekly. The prices are almost always better than finding the item in stores. And the special finance is also great when making large purchases.

I think the problem with store cards is that because they're so much more easy to attain than major bank cards people go crazy in the rebuilding stage. And get multiple cards at once. There's really no reason to have five store cards with a $300 limit. It's great to have a store card for a place you shop often and the rewards would be value to you. You've got to think about how this store card will grow for you and what you'll need it for down the road.
Message 3 of 77
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ive said it before ill say it again, pick a store card that you know you are going to use because if you just app to have for an easy approval, and not all store cards are easy ( heres looking at you SearsSmiley Happy, many times one is left with cards they dont want or need, ie the shopping cart trick with Comenity( can easily be abused to often to the detriment of us rebuilders;( ). I ll just say of all my store cards, of course i love Amazon Prime Smiley Happy, i teally enjoy my Jc Pennys. I know high apr, etc but just yesterday i saw some really good clearance specials . With free shipping and all they had a 30% off if you use your card so i ended up buying like $300 worth of clothes ,was like $142 before the extra 30% , so ended up paying like $99( + 11 for local tax Smiley Sad ) To me it was quite a deal. I also earned 2 $10 rewards .Smiley Happy im also hoping to get this converted to a mc but that is just a side goal. So im happy with this store card in that it fits with my spending and at times has really good specials that you might not get if you used another credit card.

Pick and choose wisely young grasshopper for for is strong in youSmiley Happy ( sorry just woke up and having some mornin Joe!!Smiley Happy happy Sunday everyone!
Message 4 of 77
tcbofade
Super Contributor

We have a few store cards, mostly for the discount offered at the register.  For those of you who are familiar with Nebraska Furniture Mart, their store card regularly offers zero percent deals, and DW and I are big fans. 

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 5 of 77
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@jigglypuff wrote:

I currently have 5 retail cards (Amazon Prime, Banana Republic, Nordstrom, CareCredit, and Lowes).  My Amazon , BR and Nordies is used quite often.  I like the benefits and rewards for each of the cards.  I keep the CareCredit for any medical expenses (especially dental and vet bills) that I may need spread out the payments. Lowe's is the only one that I hem and haw about closing, since I use it maybe 2-3x a year.  But as other posters mentioned, sometimes folks get caught up in the thrill of applying and getting approved and retail cards seeme to be the easiest approvals. I guess to each their own, right?  Smiley Happy

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 6 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned, it's SOOOOOO subjective to each person, their situation, how they use CC's overall,

are they rebuilding, which cards, what limits, how many etc, etc, etc.

Just too wide open a question the answer an objective notion like "which ones are WORTH having"

Kinda like asking WHICH kid is 'worth' havingSmiley Tongue (The one that goes Pro! Smiley Embarassed)

My mom has a decent amount of store CCs (keeps a solidly above 820 CS) and uses them moreso like a charge card

('ya know pays as SOON as the bill comes out w/o question) never ever a balance but she 'lady shops' (no offense ladies)

but you know what I mean THIS is on sale over here, if you use THAT card it's another X% off yada yada....so through her years

of life she's pick up this and that card...and they keep raising the CLs, although she doesn't "need" them to but again it keeps her scores sky high

...which in turn makes her more likely to be given more CLIs and around it goes.

Now, I'm a 'dude shopper' meaning I'm back in the car before the engine cools...I want THE ITEM I came in for and I'm NOT gazing through

any extra racks and I don't want to see, hear or smell any samples....

Let's get to it and to the register...there is no loyalty, no 'favorite' store to just 'visit' and 'see' what they HAVE....no sir...if I'm in there,

there's A reason and generally ONE or an exact 'short' list......so for me store cards aren't very valuable to the way I'm wired...

I need to pull out a card and have the clerk accept it or AT THE VERY LEAST pull out a 2nd one because they don't take Disco or AmEx

other than that I don't want to THINK about which card looks in the blue place vs the red store or the yellow one.....nah, I want just about

universal acceptance of ANYTHING, I pull out of my wallet.....again I'm too simple a dude to be sorting through which card I can use to buy

a pack of underwear with....Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 77
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As mentioned, it's SOOOOOO subjective to each person, their situation, how they use CC's overall,

are they rebuilding, which cards, what limits, how many etc, etc, etc.

Just too wide open a question the answer an objective notion like "which ones are WORTH having"

Kinda like asking WHICH kid is 'worth' havingSmiley Tongue (The one that goes Pro! Smiley Embarassed)

My mom has a decent amount of store CCs (keeps a solidly above 820 CS) and uses them moreso like a charge card

('ya know pays as SOON as the bill comes out w/o question) never ever a balance but she 'lady shops' (no offense ladies)

but you know what I mean THIS is on sale over here, if you use THAT card it's another X% off yada yada....so through her years

of life she's pick up this and that card...and they keep raising the CLs, although she doesn't "need" them to but again it keeps her scores sky high

...which in turn makes her more likely to be given more CLIs and around it goes.

Now, I'm a 'dude shopper' meaning I'm back in the car before the engine cools...I want THE ITEM I came in for and I'm NOT gazing through

any extra racks and I don't want to see, hear or smell any samples....

Let's get to it and to the register...there is no loyalty, no 'favorite' store to just 'visit' and 'see' what they HAVE....no sir...if I'm in there,

there's A reason and generally ONE or an exact 'short' list......so for me store cards aren't very valuable to the way I'm wired...

I need to pull out a card and have the clerk accept it or AT THE VERY LEAST pull out a 2nd one because they don't take Disco or AmEx

other than that I don't want to THINK about which card looks in the blue place vs the red store or the yellow one.....nah, I want just about

universal acceptance of ANYTHING, I pull out of my wallet.....again I'm too simple a dude to be sorting through which card I can use to buy

a pack of underwear with....Smiley Embarassed

"lady shop..."  LOL  Guilty..right here!!  Smiley Happy

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 8 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Amazon Prime card and I love it. I shop for virtually everything on Amazon. I also have Care Credit which I use for my furry babies and a Home Depot card I plan to make a very large purchase using their finance plan. I have no more plans for a store card. Those three serve specific purposes and are great. 

That being said, to each his own. I guess my only suggestion is to think about any card you want (store or not) and decide where it fits into your portfolio. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say it depends on your situation.. For me and others with an established profile the only two reasons to get a store card are if they offer some great financing on purchases you plan to make OR if you shop there frequently and they offer rewards that your other cards can't match. However, for someone rebuilding there may be other benefits.. For instance, if you only have 3000 dollars in credit available, and add a store card with a 3000 limit.. you can increase your spending power from 1000 to 2000 while still being at 30% utilization. As long as you plan to shop there at least once every few months to keep it active, that alone can be a benefit for some.
Message 10 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.