Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards Worth Having

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store Cards Worth Having

I was denied a credit limit increase and one reason was too few bank cards. I have 5 Prime bank cards... CU, barclay, chase freedom amex PRG, ED, Discover? So I infer that because I have many more store cards in comparison… they made such a comparison. No matter. I closed 3 store anchors last Thursday.
Message 31 of 77
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon Prime, Sam's Club are my current "store cards" although the Sam's is a MasterCard so it's duel use but too high an APR to carry a balance on. The others all offer 0% or promotional financing at low rates (Lowes 84 month 5.99%) - I've had a lot more, but closed them all over time. Note too that all of these cards offer extra cash back if used correctly (usuall if not using financing, Sam's end of year rebate).

Message 32 of 77
jwduke
Regular Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

We have a few store cards, mostly for the discount offered at the register.  For those of you who are familiar with Nebraska Furniture Mart, their store card regularly offers zero percent deals, and DW and I are big fans. 

I too have this card, an enjoy using Warren Buffets money for free!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 33 of 77
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

My Lowes card is the only one I use. 5% off everyday purchases and the 0% promos if I ever need it. Not to mention along with WM were my first rebuild cards several years ago. Started with a 300 limit and currently have a 25k limit.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 34 of 77
Ariel
Valued Member

For me:

1). Target for the 5% off

2). Amazon Prime for the 5% cash back or special financing

3). Overstock for the 0% financing when I need to make a larger purchase

4). Blue Nile for the same reason (my highest limit card at 25k actually)

For everything else it's Chase Freedom or Discover depending on the bonus categories.

Message 35 of 77
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I have two store cards: Lowes and Target.  Lowes for big ticket items at 5% off (no military discount for me).  Target because I didn't want to link their debit card to my checking account.  I occasionally buy small items from Target.  It is not worth it to me to buy gift cards when I probably will not spend $25 in a year at Target.  I really shouldn't have opened the Target account.

The only other store card I have recently considered is the AKC card.  My pets are getting up in age.  I can see my vet bills going up.  In the end, I would rather have a card with a better sign up bonus than 3% at the vet.

Message 36 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there might be some confusion between store cards, and co-branded cards.  I see no issue with co-branded cards (although I rarely use them outside the store they are branded to, the one exception was a $25 store gift card if I used my card outside the store 5 times).  I have a few co-branded cards, and as I have been shopping at LL Bean more and more, would add the LL Bean Visa to my wish list.  (As an aside, growing up, LL Bean and Lands End had such a reputation, and I could never afford them.  Now that I can afford them, they don't have as sterling a reputation as they once did)

For true store cards (and since my Target Visa should be in the mail already, I won't include that), I would say that Lowes, Walmart, Best Buy, and Kohls are the only four that I wouldn't want to lose.  Lowes, Best Buy, and Walmart for the 0% deferred interest (I actually only use the WM card when I am buying something offering deferred interest, or shopping online for the 3% back), and Kohls for the perks (free shipping, extra % off).  I doubt I would care or even notice (OK, I do check in often enough that I would notice) if they were closed.

Message 37 of 77
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

My only store card is Kohls. I think Blispay is cool because it alleviates a lot of the need for a store cards.  However, for really big purchases some store cards offer really good financing.

Message 38 of 77
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

Love my Crate & Barrel card! $20 back for every $200 spent in their store with the card. I always shop there so it works out.
Message 39 of 77
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Talbots- I know my size so can order catalogue/online exclusive clothes.  You earn rewards $25 at a time, and probably the main reason free shipping, otherwise it's $8

Amazon- 5% statement credit no limit.  I order a lot from Amazon coffee, cat litter, pen refills etc.  Stuff I buy anyway and only if it's cheaper than in the store or Costco, and of course free 2 day shipping.

Lowes- either 5% off at the register, 0% financing 18mos (I think), 5.99% financing for 84mos for larger projects (such as a kitchen remodel).

These are the final three I will likely keep.  Things can change.  BTW these are some of my oldest CC too.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 40 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.