Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards for Rebuilders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store Cards for Rebuilders

@mAndrew1980 wrote:

Awesome!!!!!!!! Great inspiration to me. I think I might apply myself. I really need a second card to assist with the rebuilding. It appears I'm about a year out from getting a real card so I need additional positive credit.

Just remember that lots of folks are not happy with Macy's because they discontinued reporting the CL on the store card.

Rumors abound that they may report limits again - but there is certainly no guarantee.  I, for one, am not counting on it - but it would be nice.

GEMB are also easy merchant cards for rebuilding.  JCPenney, Dillards and Walmart are all notoriously "friendly."  Dillards, I believe, will approve with the lowest scores.  And for some reason, Walmart seems the most iffy of the three.  JCPenney is noted for doing some pretty nice CLI's.  And GEMB cards do report CL's.  Just don't overdo the apps.  Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 28
Seatown1two
Regular Contributor

How many apps per year would you say would be over doing it?  I've app'd twiced this year and deciding if I should do a third..

Amex Blue Cash - 22.9k | CSR - 21.9k | Cap One Quicksilver MC - 18.5k | BofA Travel Rewards - 15k | Lowes - 15k | Citi DC - 13.2k | Discover IT Miles - 20.1k | Amazon Prime Visa - 6k | BofA BBR - 5.4k
Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seatown1two wrote:

How many apps per year would you say would be over doing it?  I've app'd twiced this year and deciding if I should do a third..

For me, I wouldn't do a third this year.  I've learned to space 'em out more than that.  But that's because of what's on my CR - it will matter what's on yours.

If you're a very beginning rebuilder, I think you get a tad more slack. It depends - What open accounts do you currently have on your CR? 

Message 23 of 28
Seatown1two
Regular Contributor

Orchard bank $320 CL opened 6 months ago and just app'd for and approved for cap 1 300 CL and BofA secured 99/500 (received cap 1 card in mail yesterday).

Amex Blue Cash - 22.9k | CSR - 21.9k | Cap One Quicksilver MC - 18.5k | BofA Travel Rewards - 15k | Lowes - 15k | Citi DC - 13.2k | Discover IT Miles - 20.1k | Amazon Prime Visa - 6k | BofA BBR - 5.4k
Message 24 of 28
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Prolificjinx23 - what were your scores when you applied for the Macy's card and what report did they pull?  I'm a NYer too and would love to get a Macy's card.  Debating on if I should go into the store and apply today.  Also, did you have any baddies on your report when you applied?

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Macy's card.

I lol'd at Booners $1million CL earlier in this thread.

Message 26 of 28
prolificjinx23
Frequent Contributor

Jasimae my scored are below (& they're current) & they pulled EX for me.

As far as baddies go...... I have a BOA charge off $0 balance from 05/08, open acct with Merrick Bank is reporting 4 lates 30-120 days (09/10-12/10), 1 medical collection for $470 from 03/10 & a closed CU loan $0 balance reporting 2 - 30 day lates (06/10, 08/10).

Starting Scores: EQ 447 (01/02/2017), TU 476 (01/02/2017), EX 456 (01/02/2017)
Current Scores: FICO 08's as of 12/12/2019: EQ 584, TU 702, EX 631
Goal Scores: ABOVE 800 ALL 3
Current Cards: CapOne QS1 $500, Walmart SC $500, Discover It $750, Amazon Prime SC $900, CareCredit $2,000, NFCU CashRewards $10,000 and NOT APPING until 04/2020....

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@mAndrew1980 wrote:

Awesome!!!!!!!! Great inspiration to me. I think I might apply myself. I really need a second card to assist with the rebuilding. It appears I'm about a year out from getting a real card so I need additional positive credit.

Just remember that lots of folks are not happy with Macy's because they discontinued reporting the CL on the store card.

Rumors abound that they may report limits again - but there is certainly no guarantee.  I, for one, am not counting on it - but it would be nice.

GEMB are also easy merchant cards for rebuilding.  JCPenney, Dillards and Walmart are all notoriously "friendly."  Dillards, I believe, will approve with the lowest scores.  And for some reason, Walmart seems the most iffy of the three.  JCPenney is noted for doing some pretty nice CLI's.  And GEMB cards do report CL's.  Just don't overdo the apps.  Smiley Wink

I was approved last April for both Dillard's and JCP with scores in the 640 range. I was hoping to just get the Dillard's store card, but to my surprise they approved me for the Amex version. So, I would say it was a pretty easy approval for both. I agree about JCP and CLIs; they started me at $200 and raised me to $1500 after just 3-1/2 months! Dillards went from $700 -> $1700 in the same timeframe. I'd happily recommend them for someone who is rebuilding.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.