Did you mean: 

Store card denials???

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Store card denials???

One time I applied for an Amex and one of the denial reasons was 

TOO MUCH OWED ON RETAIL ACCOUNTS

my utilization at the time was very low but most of my balances WAS from my Kohls and Macy's card. Do prime banks really not like to see store cards on a CR? This freaked me out so I closed all but 2 of the 7 I had.

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store card denials???

You need to keep a good mix if cards and keep balances below 30 percent. That would take care of that but I would recon
Message 2 of 24
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

There has been a post here and on another forum with analysts who both said having more store than majors does hurt.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am I correct in assuming that the 2 you did not close are the ones with balances (Macy's and Kohl's)?  If they say "too much owed" I would think closing cards with no balance would not make a difference...they didn't say "too many retail accounts".

just my thoughts...

Message 4 of 24
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Yeah but I didn't wanna run the risk of having too many and running up the balances for whatever reason, so I just closed the ones I didn't really want
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 5 of 24
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Having a few would be fine. If they out weight your majors you will be considered more risky. I don't know why and don't recall anyone asking if they did I don't remember the answer, maybe profiles historically default more often with more store cards. Or perhaps a sign of previous credit trouble.

Good rule if the store you shop at often AND it has Better rewards than what another card would give then get it. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart or target are places you may shop regularly and often times gives 0% interest for your larger purchases. All tires bad or mechanical issues and there's a card with 0% available not a bad idea..

Kohls or Victoria Secret where you shop 2x a year but nothing special outside the 1x discount probably not too worth it.

Of course everyone will have to decide on their own what makes sense to them. I wouldn't RUN from all store cards but definitely wouldn't apply for easy approvals. CCC also know how easy they are so they aren't impressed by 143 store cards and 2 capital ones and a credit one card Smiley Tongue
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just have one store card amex Macy's and maybe Lowe's soon!

Message 7 of 24
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Any store cards I have can actually grow or are at high limits already, though I did close two of those recently.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 8 of 24
ddemari
Super Contributor

I think store cards are fine if you shop at the places, pif and can manage lots of cards.

my impression of store cards has changed over the past few years. A lot of store cards offer some really good benefits, can grow SUPER high and a lot are cobranded mc/visas. I am an authorized user on an old navy visa opened up with my mom in 2003, it was just a store card then but a few years back received a visa. that card has a 25,000 credit line.

all of my store cards have nice credit lines except target. never any love, will be stuck at 300 for ever. 

Message 9 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Store cards are okay in moderation as long as they are not making up the majority of your file. Sure you'll see success stories on here from people with 20, 30, or even more store cards, but IMO, it's not the right way to go. Your profile should consist of mainly "regular use" cards, not store cards.

Now if you shop somewhere constantly and the store card would offer you a great benefit, it makes sense. Kohl's is a decent store card that gives out pretty good discounts to those who shop there frequently, for example. But if you only shop somewhere once in awhile, it's probably not worth it, and many stores offer free loyalty card programs that give you discounts without a credit card (Kohl's for example again, I have their free loyalty card and get plenty of emailed coupons).

So in short, if something really appeals to you, go for it. In moderation. As a general rule though, don't expect huge growth (though there are exceptions). Don't let it overrun your profile, and you'll be fine.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.