Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store card impact? What can I expect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store card impact? What can I expect?

So, I against my better judgment, (I knew better, and am already in self loathing stage) I took my daughter out shopping for her Birthday at a local department store Elder Beerman. The sales lady pushing their store card on me hard. I knew better and took the bait anyway. So got $2000 limit, Comenity backed card.

Well here is were it gets funny, but not funny AT ALL! The next day, the VERY NEXT DAY, it in the paper and all over my local facebook news, they announced this store and all the stores are closing! I am not a happy camper. I can't believe they would even push the card or issue credit.

So what impact is this going to have on my score, if any, of a account that opens and closes so close together. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Store card impact? What can I expect?

Well that's pretty shady to push credit cards then go out of business. The main reason I disdain store cards is their exclusivity, they can't be used outside of the store (mostly) and they usually aren't replaced by anything when the store goes out of business. Hard to say what kind of impact it will have on your score, it really depends on your overall profile and current score. You're going to factor in the inquiry the new account and utilization. I wouldn't really worry about it though, just chalk it up to life lesson and listen to your better judgment next time. You do have an interesting story to share though if that helps Smiley Happy. Sorry this happened but it's effect will pass, Thanks for sharing and have a great day.  

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The utilization should be a issue have less than 1% reporting and my total line of credit is $24,000. They inquiry is the kick in the butt, they pulled EQ, so brings my inquiries to 4. I do hope someone reads this and does learn from my mistake. Brick and mortar stores are closing everywhere, so be extremely cautious with retail cards!
Message 3 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The inquiry shouldn't really affect your score; if it does, it'll likely be a point or two.  Unfortunately, the lowering of your average age of accounts and having a new account opened within the last x months will almost certainly sting a little more.  Nothing that a little time won't wear off, and simply closing the account soon after opening shouldn't be an issue at all.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goes to show that 20% off stuff isn't really helpful in the long run! Grrr, still bitter that they would even issue a card, no wonder they are going out of business! 😤😆 Lol!
Message 5 of 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Goes to show that 20% off stuff isn't really helpful in the long run! Grrr, still bitter that they would even issue a card, no wonder they are going out of business! 😤😆 Lol!

Totally forgot my wife recently opened a Toys R us credit card for the discounts on Baby R us merchandise, well you know how that story ends. So you are totally not alone. It's hard to know which stores will be around next week. 

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

A notification was sent to Elder-Beerman cardholders (which I'm sure it may impact its other sister stores due to the BK filing) that the Elder-Beerman credit card cannot be accepted as a form of payment effective today (4/19/18).

Effective 6/26/18, accounts will be closed. 😔
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I can't use mine in the store anyway, seeing how it hasn't even came in the mail yet! Lol.😊 I wonder if they will even actually send the card now?

You know with all these stores closing Sync and Comenity should really let customers switch cards to other stores.
Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The inquiry shouldn't really affect your score; if it does, it'll likely be a point or two.  Unfortunately, the lowering of your average age of accounts and having a new account opened within the last x months will almost certainly sting a little more.  Nothing that a little time won't wear off, and simply closing the account soon after opening shouldn't be an issue at all.

Yes, the score impact comes just from the inq and the new account, the time between opening and closing doesn't matter at all from that perspective.    But I understand the feeling that you gained nothing for whatever impact there was!

Message 9 of 10
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
A notification was sent to Elder-Beerman cardholders (which I'm sure it may impact its other sister stores due to the BK filing) that the Elder-Beerman credit card cannot be accepted as a form of payment effective today (4/19/18).

Effective 6/26/18, accounts will be closed. 😔

Yep- I just posted about this. No more Younkers card for me. I've been getting emails from them for the past several days reminding me to use my bonus rewards cards- I guess they weren't kidding. 

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.