Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store card question?

tag
Cprman
Contributor

Store card question?

So I have decent credit but want to bump it a little further. I have very few CCs only penfed and chase freedom. Amex blue cash is next on my list. However, I 've heard a "store" card can help my mix. Im thinking the only store Ill go to very often might be Macy's. My question is once I get it I'll probably be able to upgrade to visa. Do I then lose my "store" card and just have another general CC. Does it actually note as well on your credit report that this is a "store" card? Just want to buff my scores, thanks.

5/08 EQ 696.....9/13 EQ 796.....9/17 EX 824, EQ 843
Amex Blue Cash 15K || PenFed Cash Rewards 18K || Chase Freedom 12K || Cap1 Quicksilver 15K || Amazon Prime 3.8K || Citi Double Cash 10.8K
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store card question?

yes, I think if you upgrade to visa it becomes a cc and you lose the store card. If I were you I would go with the Best Buy store card. You get a high CL and I'm sure you could find something to buy there.Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 9
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Macy's just upgraded my husband and now he has two trade lines on his CR - one for the store card and one for the VISA.

Also - you can always decline the upgrade. I got a Macy's card for the same reason as you... to round out my credit. I not interested in upgrading because I don't need another VISA.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

store cards always - on credit mix lenders consder them trash, just about anyone breathing can have one, leaving them wondering why you don't have/use a real credit card, they don't know you wanted the 10% discount.

Message 4 of 9
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

I believe a mix to be a good thing to have.  I have a target card that does the trick for me.
CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hah?

rbbyrbsn wrote:
store cards always - on credit mix lenders consder them trash, just about anyone breathing can have one, leaving them wondering why you don't have/use a real credit card, they don't know you wanted the 10% discount.

Message 6 of 9
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Anyone can get a store card?  I know they're usually a little easier than the credit cards, but you still need decent credit.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

rbbyrbsn wrote:

Not true. Store cards do help balance out the mix as far as FICO goes and that is what lenders see as well. It's about the mix. Store cards are not just handed out, you still need a decent cr to get one (except for CJ)
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

my store cards are JCP and Circuit City wheeeew i need to sock drawer both but the IPOD touch kept calling! Smiley Wink but its a great mix!  Im not letting either go!!!! GL in getting yours and most people have at least scores nearing 600 to get a store card from what ive read 570-600 IMO...... 
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.