Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store card question

tag
Little_Lulu
Contributor

Store card question

Hello. I was just thinking about something - If you get those store cards from like Comenity but you never use them... do they still help your credit? My mom has had some for like a year but she's never used them. I'm wondering if she put something small on them would a bunch of "ok" come in the monthly pay history and raise her credit? Or does it not really matter if she actually has used them or not? Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store card question

It would likely only improve her credit score if the newly reported credit limits improved her utilization percentage. There would be no green OK buttons prior to the first balance and payment. Not using them does nothing one way or the other since Comenity doesn't report cards that haven't been used.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Little_Lulu wrote:

Hello. I was just thinking about something - If you get those store cards from like Comenity but you never use them... do they still help your credit? My mom has had some for like a year but she's never used them. I'm wondering if she put something small on them would a bunch of "ok" come in the monthly pay history and raise her credit? Or does it not really matter if she actually has used them or not? Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

Comenity tends not to report to the CRAs unless you're using their cards so no it's not really helping if they're not being used.

Message 3 of 4
ddemari
Super Contributor

Like others have said, it definitely helps to use the card a little. Just make a purchase once every 6 months so the card shows activity and you dont risk a closure. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.